 Trains / 2788
Re: LEGO trains...The Future of Model Railroading?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 23:50:22 GMT

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Rick Clark wrote:

Attitude 1: Model Railroaders.
As a case in point, at the recent PNWLTC layout at the '99 Western Washington
State Fair in Puyallup [SNIP!]
was understaffed. A couple railroading guys came out a couple of days, and they
were fairly impressed, but my impression was that they considered it mostly a
novelty, and possibly somewhat beneath them. And this was a huge, complex
layout, with some of the finest LEGO modelling there is. (Gallery at
http://www.pnltc.org/WWF0999/W_Wash_Fair_Main_0999.htm )

The ones I met during my shifts at The Fair were more bemused at what we
had accomplished.  I talked extensively with one guy who had already
decided to look into LEGO trains as a cheaper alternative to the Lionel he
currently collects, and as a gauge he can share with his son more easily.

We got our share of nasty old folks opposed to change.  At least twice I
had older ladies come up to me and ask where the "real" trains were.  But
as a whole, I find that the people I meet in the model RR hobby are very
open to new ideas and love the idea of LEGO joining their ranks.

Personally, I think that LEGO railroading could be utilized by N, HO, and O
clubs as a "gateway" to model railroading.

This idea is often brought up by parents who come up to our displays at
GATS.  Indeed, I get a lot of "my kid is currently playing in your kids'
area, quick tell me how to get them a train by Christmas."  A lot of the
"bitter old model railroaders" have talked with me about the possibility
of getting more children into the hobby via LEGO.  At one show I sat with
a bunch of distinguished gentlemen at the spaghetti dinner and we
discussed the advantages of children starting with LEGO and moving on to
more detailed gauges later on.  They seemed extremely receptive to the
idea.

Attutide 2: LEGO.

The problem, in my view, is more due to LEGO themselves than the
traditional model RR fans.  When those distinguished gentlemen learned
that there are only three trains available, two of them only through mail
order, they shook their heads in disbelief.  LEGO is killing themselves,
and killing our future standing among model RR hobbyists, by not offering
more trains and train elements, and by not offering them where the general
public can see them.  Although Toyrus and Target and other stores sell
LEGO trains, they are always on the bottom shelf, always ignored by
parents.  Why doesn't LEGO do train displays for some of their store
displays?

Attutude 3: LEGO Train fans.
not doing much to encourage kids to join us. • [SNIP!]
But when I was at the Washington show, the person who had come
with me to the fair pointed out that those of us staffing the layout were a
little bit standoffish toward the kids who came to see the layout.

You are aware that a normal PNLTC layout includes a Kids RR section where
kids are encouraged to play with the trains?  The display at The Fair was
not exactly normal, thanks to the extremely high traffic (especially on
weekends) and the limited space we had.

At GATS last weekend, the children's area was overwhelmed at all times by
tons of rugrats learning how to make LEGO trains.

like second-class LEGO fans is not helping matters. We gotta figure a way to
include them in the layouts at the show, without them knocking everything over.

Why?

Why should children be allowed inside a static display set up to show off
model railroading?  On the one hand, giving kids a place to play like we
usually do is cool.  But on the other hand, I'm opposed to children inside
the layout.  I have some very nice creations, some of them mean a LOT to
me.  I don't particularly want kids playing with them.

Other model RR hobbyists don't let children in their displays, why should
we?  LEGO, by its very nature, is going to attract the kids.  We don't
have to go out of our way to make the experience special for them.  We
don't have to include them for them to be interested.

In fact, it helps us, as a club, to have an adults only rule.  It helps us
with our standings with other model RR hobbyists, it makes us more legit
in their eyes.  They don't look at PNLTC as think "kids group", they think
of us as another modeling group of adults.  We start letting kids in, and
we lose that tiny edge.

I think, after listening to comments at GATS and other shows, that we are
on the edge.  The PNLTC and the GMLTC both are considered "legit" by many
in the model RR hobby.  We are being taken seriously by more and more
people, and the only thing we lack is the availability of the LEGO trains
themselves to hobbyists.  I suspect that if some member of PNLTC had set
up a table at the recent GATS with twenty LEGO trains to sell, they
would've sold out within minutes.  Everything is there, all LEGO has to do
is step up and make a small commitment: show up at a show.

-Laura