 Trains / 2814
Re: LEGO trains...The Future of Model Railroading?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:15:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

Frank Filz wrote:

Some thoughts of mine:

<much good stuff snipped>
Once we get a strong hobby built up with multiple vendors, THEN think
about being LEGO exclusive if you want to honor the company which
founded the hobby (the reason Lionel and American Flyer have devoted
collectors groups is because these were the dominating brands at the
birth of commerical model railroading).

What we do want to promote is maintaining a LEGO feel to our efforts.

Not possible.  If it isn't ALL LEGO, then it will cease to have a LEGO
feel.  We at the GMLTC are proud to say that *everything* on the layout is
LEGO (save decals).  That has impact.  Once you open Pandora's box of
non-LEGO accessories, watch out.  The slope is slippery, and the shades are
gray...
<more good stuff snipped>

The GMLTC layout, if you haven't seen pictures yet, is about 13.5 feet by 19
feet.  We estimate around 750,000 bricks.  175 or so feet of track, three
different independent rail lines (two mainlines that circle the entire layout
and one small loop that stays on a couple of sections.)  In all of that, the
only 'non LEGO' stuff we've used is some string on our truss bridges, because
LEGO string is only available in short lengths; some pneumatic tubing that is
mostly out of the public's view (cheaper than LEGO pneumatic tubing!); and
perhaps two dozen decals on two different locomotives and a few vehicles.
That's it!  We don't glue things together, and we have only cut (gasp!) about
6 pieces, only because there wasn't any alternative element from LEGO.

I can't tell you the number of times I've heard kids say something like "If
*I* had enough bricks, I could build this..."  And you know what?  They could!!

On a somewhat different note, I think I'm going to join the NMRA.  And in the
field where it asks what 'scale' model railroad I'm interested in, I'm going
to put "LEGO"!

John1, GMLTC
  (youbetcha, remove dat dare ".nospam" to reply...)