 Trains / 2817
Re: LEGO trains...The Future of Model Railroading?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:42:40 GMT

John Gerlach wrote:
The GMLTC layout, if you haven't seen pictures yet, is about 13.5 feet by 19
feet.  We estimate around 750,000 bricks.  175 or so feet of track, three
different independent rail lines (two mainlines that circle the entire layout
and one small loop that stays on a couple of sections.)  In all of that, the
only 'non LEGO' stuff we've used is some string on our truss bridges, because
LEGO string is only available in short lengths; some pneumatic tubing that is
mostly out of the public's view (cheaper than LEGO pneumatic tubing!); and
perhaps two dozen decals on two different locomotives and a few vehicles.
That's it!  We don't glue things together, and we have only cut (gasp!) about
6 pieces, only because there wasn't any alternative element from LEGO.

Well, if we follow John Neal's ideals, you should figure out how to
build the bridge with LEGO string, and give S@H a call right now and
order all that peneumatic tubing. Oh, and get rid of those decals (and
listen to Larry cheer).

I can't tell you the number of times I've heard kids say something like "If
*I* had enough bricks, I could build this..."  And you know what?  They could!!

And if another manufacturer entered the market, and had parts available,
the kid would still be able to do that.

Of course what we could run into is that the LEGO train hobby dies a
horrible death when TLC gets tired of letters from parents complaining
that their kid is no longer happy with the 4'x8' HO train layout which
was put together for under $1000 and now wants them to spend $10,000 or
more on LEGO sets after seeing one of our shows and buying a LEGO train
set.

On a somewhat different note, I think I'm going to join the NMRA.  And in the
field where it asks what 'scale' model railroad I'm interested in, I'm going
to put "LEGO"!

I need to do that also...

Sorry for my ranting in this post and the other. I know we are all
passionate about our hobby, and I want to be able to do it all, and I
would love it if we had the CHOICE of deciding to be LEGO pure, instead,
we have no choice BUT to be LEGO pure, because there aren't
alternatives.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com