 Trains / 2839
Re: LEGO trains...The Future of Model Railroading?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:37:48 GMT

John Warren wrote:

Larry writes:
You dilute your own argument because you use decals, you know... the
slope may only be 1 degree at that point, but it's a slope and you're
started down it. (Tubing and string are not the same in kind because
Lego does make tubing and does make string that looks exactly like what
we use)

Oh come off it Larry!  I'm getting so sick of this stupid argument.

I'm sensing a little hostility here...

Hmmm,
let's see, you say using decals is totally wrong but using string and tubing is
fine because lego makes it.

Well, no, I don't believe I said using decals is totally wrong. I just
said that one cannot make the argument that one is totally pure if one
uses them. This hobby, when we are considering it amongst ourselves, is
all about fun. John Neal can do whatever he wants, as can any of the
rest of us, with what we've, after all, bought with our own money. (1)

My point though, is that when we talk about working within the limits of
the medium, we should be careful to be clear where we deviate and where
we do not. Minor point when talking amongst ourselves, but more
significant when we tell the mundanes "it's 100 percent LEGO just like
you can buy" but it isn't actually 100% LEGO.

Repeating myself, it's not WRONG to be impure. Craig Hamilton is a
miracle worker and I stand in awe of what he does. He has imposed a
different set of constraints on himself than I choose to, or than GMLTC
chooses to. GMLTC is OK with decals, OK with cutting parts in certain
limited situations, OK with string that looks exactly like LEGO string
but is cheaper and OK with using hose that comes in longer runs and is
cheaper than what you can buy from TLG, but only when that hose is
hidden.

Those are the limits they've imposed on themselves. And they're pretty
clear about them in the placards they post at shows.

Well gee Larry, explain to me why every time I buy
a lego set I seem to always find something in the bottom of the box.  What are
they called...let me think here for a second...oh yeah,
DECALS!!!!!  TLG uses decals on just about every set they make so what is the
big deal?  If the TLG made some of these trains we make I'm sure they would
include some similiar decals as well.

A decal is a thin transparent film that is floated on with water. It's a
precision modeling tool and takes a lot of skill to apply well.

Lego has never, ever, to my knowledge, supplied a decal. What Lego
supplies are stickers. Applying stickers well takes some skill, but not
as much as a decal does. Applying a decal is well out of the reach of
the average 10 year old kid. But wouldn't it be nice if as part of this
homebrew set of parts we were batting about, some stickers printed on
clear film were included? TLG stickers aren't all they could be, how
about a nice ATSF indian head or IC diamond, or even some US place names
for the train stations?

If I've done something to personally offend you, I am sorry (2), but
let's get back on track and talk about how to get this thing we have
possibly

1 - And whatever he does, I'm going to tease him about, because that's
the sort of relationship we've developed, we tease each other
unmercifully. But we can do that without getting upset about it...
because we know each other personally and have developed that
relationship by many many face to face meetings.

2 - based on the "oh come off it" remark, I fear I may have, but I'm not
sure what. Feel free to email me offline if you like.

If you were sensing any "hostility" it was just a little bit. :^)  The "come
off it phrase" is like saying "give me a break".  While reading my last comment
you must imagine me grinning and speaking sarcastically.  That's just my way of
replying to your comment because I really, really, really like decals/stickers
on model trains.  All of these web sites that show decals added to the models
give the color schemes much more significance.  (Union pacific, etc..)  And you
have to remember the letter that started this whole chain was me talking about
being a train hobby shop looking for decals for my newly built locomotive.

By the way, I liked your response to my comment.  It was very thorough and yes,
you do have a really good point about the difference between decals and
stickers.  But then I ask myself, "am I building these trains to impress
children?"  Sort of, but mostly I build to impress adult legoers who share my
same passion such as you guys.  When I saw your first line about "sensing
hostility" I burst out laughing!  Sorry Larry, I read so many of your comments
that I forget that I actually don't know you personally.  I'm sure we'll meet
someday when we finally establish a national lego train group.

Best Regards,
   John Warren