 Trains / 2824
Re: LEGO trains...The Future of Model Railroading?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:08:29 GMT

If you look closely at the model railroading field, you will see that it
thrives on very tiny markets. There are many special kits with
production runs as low as 500, if not lower. And those have included
cast parts, though I'm not sure about the possibilities of making a cast
for ABS which would have a modest cost per piece for small run parts.

500?  500 kits for some of the UK manufacturers would be a massive run!

Lockley only built something in the order of 500 coaches in 50 years!
(admitidly, that is building, not kit)  But still, that level is much higher
than what it takes if people are willing to pay for it.  I know that one of the
engine kits I had (I gave it to one of my friends who should use it for the
proper purpose), was of a run of less than 500

James Powell