 Trains / 2851
Re: LEGO trains...The Future of Model Railroading?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:35:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes:

Mike Poindexter wrote in message ...
Existing sets is not going to tip the balance much. Notice that no one • other
than the GMLTC is doing modules the way they are, and the reason they are
able to do so is due to a once in a lifetime person who happens to have • more
bricks than most people could even remotely conceive of.

Sorry Frank Deeppockets Filz, (you always outbid me on eBay!) but there is
at

I don't ALWAYS outbid you... I looked at an auction just today which you had
bid on which I didn't bid on...

Yeah!  I did a search of Lego lots not bid on by you and chose one of them to
try and get.  It looks like you found that one, too.  Sigh.  At least I have
TRU and Kay-Bee.  (By the way, the model team 5561 is on sale there for $40
and has 6 white train windows, 2 red ones and 2 train doors!  Not bad,
considering it is a 7-800 piece set!  Now go spend your money on that and let
me get my ebay lots!)

least one other who is making modules - me.  I am trying to get people in
California to have an LTC here, but have been too busy at work to really • push
it right now.  But rest assured, the GMLTC is not the only one making
modules.  If they come out the San Jose for the NMRA convention, they will
find me there with 5 modules to tie into their system, if they want.  (If • not,
I will be kind of stranded on the mainline, which won't be able to loop • until
I get 8 modules made!)  My plan is to have a 12 module layout of my own.  I
should be there in about 3 years, if I am lucky.

What is your cost per module coming out to? How much more would it cost if
you didn't sell the extra bricks?

If I didn't sell the extra bricks, I would be dead trying to do it.  It takes
60 of the tubs to make one module, plus 6 of the large gray baseplates.  That
is $1300 retail per module if I didn't sell anything off.  Fortunately, I have
been able to get 20% off my cost on tubs, but California is notorious for no
50% off sales on Lego.  Mike Stanley would have a heart attack here.

When it is all said and done, I think I am in for about $350-400 each.  Quite
a huge chunk of change and a rediculous amount of time just sorting bricks.  I
have half a mind to just get all 720 tubs at once and dumping all the bricks
into some flow bins and setting up our Elbiscan laser sorter at work to
seperate them for me and then just send the sorted bins over to the casing
line, weigh them up and box them.  It can sort by color and can run about 4
tons of walnut kernal per hour (removing shells and dark nuts).
Unfortunately, the oils would get on the bricks and my entire collection would
end up smelling like walnuts, which I am allergic to.

Mike