 Trains / 2747
Re: LEGO trains...The Future of Model Railroading?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 03:47:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Warren writes:
Hello fellow railroad buffs,
    I just thought I'd share a little story with you that occurred to me
today.  Earlier today I went to a model train hobby shop to look for some
decals to add to my recently completed EMD GP15-1 union pacific diesel engine.
I decided to take my engine in with me so as to compare it's size to some
decals.  I pulled the engine out of a bag and placed it on the counter top in
the shop.  Needless to say all of the oldtimers in the shop were little
impressed.  Most of these guys were age fifty-five and over.  They were all
gathered together working on a large HO layout in the back of the shop.  While
looking through the decals a father and his small son (about age 6) came into
the store to pick out his sons first train set.  Boy, all the old men got
excited. Now comes the kicker.  During the time the father and son were in the
shop looking around, the son completely left his father's side at LEAST five
times and came running over to my LEGO diesel engine and touched and played
with it with utter fascination.  He was totally uninterested in the other
trains all around.  He kept telling his dad that he wanted "that train"!
Needless to say his dad nor the other oldtimers were amused.
   The point of this story...I don't know.  To me it seems that today I
observed that the future of model railroading lyes not in HO or O scale models
but MAYBE in LEGO.  I know that HO and O will never die, god forbid, but I have
a strong sense that when I hit age fifty in the year 2021 I will see train
shows that are at least 50% lego.  Oh well, maybe I'm just dreaming.

Keep Building Guys.
  John Warren

I recently had the opportunity to recommend a Lego train set.  An older couple
I know stopped by ealier this week wanting me to advise them on buying a model
train for 7 of their grandchildren (siblings, age range 3 yo twin boys to 13
yo).  They were thinking Lionel but, after seeing my Lego setup they changed
their minds.  I am sure all of you can guess their first comment, "I didn't
know Lego makes trains."  I explained that the older kids will have a great
time building the train and setting it up while the twins will still have a
great time playing with it and taking it apart but, that's the beauty of Lego.
It should be a fun house to be in this Christmas.

- Jim

---