 Trains / 2760
Re: LEGO trains...The Future of Model Railroading?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 23:55:23 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote in message
<38384376.EDE1FF67@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu>...
I agree with a lot that is being said here, but I think the biggest problem
is the
<snip>

Could you imagine a commercial featuring a LEGO TGV zipping through a LEGO
countryside, or a massive LEGO freight train pulling a load up Horseshoe • Bend
(that is the right name, isn't it)? LEGO trains could make nearly as big an • impact
as Mindstorms did. Right now no one knows that LEGO trains exist if if they • did
they would find the selection rather uninspiring.

<snip>

There is a great idea right there.  Mindstorms and trains... people are
doing it on their own,
but LEGO could make it easier for us.  Many trainheads would like to have
free running (i.e.
self controlled ) "trains with brains".  Many Mindstormers would love new
things to do with
their robots (having the vehicle ride on track keeps the navigation
difficulties low).

A minor design change to the train motor is all that is needed and the rest
is packaging.
(OK, realistically you need instructions and maybe some software)  To my
mind, (or a
reasonable facsimile thereof) this product has "can't miss" written all over
it.

Picture a "Robotically Controlled Train" set.  A nice yellow/black schemed
diesel, a
collection of patterned tiles to be placed on the ties (for the light sensor
to read) so
the train could detect where it was, a light activated crossing gate (place
the sensor
a few feet down the track and the train's light sensor would cause the gate
to lower,
etc.

Where do I place my order?????

sell lots of trains, make money, realise trains are a good thing, improve
trains, sell more trains...
:?) bishop