 Trains / 2827
Re: LEGO trains...The Future of Model Railroading?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:40:59 GMT

<Much Snipping>

What we do want to promote is maintaining a LEGO feel to our effort
Not possible.  If it isn't ALL LEGO, then it will cease to have a LEGO
feel.  We at the GMLTC are proud to say that *everything* on the layout is
LEGO (save decals).  That has impact.  Once you open Pandora's box of
non-LEGO accessories, watch out.  The slope is slippery, and the shades are
gray... • Larry writes:
You dilute your own argument because you use decals, you know... the
slope may only be 1 degree at that point, but it's a slope and you're
started down it. (Tubing and string are not the same in kind because
Lego does make tubing and does make string that looks exactly like what
we use)
Oh come off it Larry!  I'm getting so sick of this stupid argument.  Hmmm,
let's see, you say using decals is totally wrong but using string and tubing • is
fine because lego makes it.  Well gee Larry, explain to me why every time I • buy
a lego set I seem to always find something in the bottom of the box.  What are
they called...let me think here for a second...oh yeah,
DECALS!!!!!  TLG uses decals on just about every set they make so what is the
big deal?  If the TLG made some of these trains we make I'm sure they would
include some similiar decals as well.

This also is on the slippery slope but... with apologies to Brain Williams

The line on non-Lego parts to me has always been two criteria.
a) Is it close enough to an accessory that it's not a specialty of LEGO?
(String, tubing, wires to an extent, and decals)
b) Does it masquerade as a part that LEGO doesn't make?

To me, string that matches LEGO's types are fine.  So are decals if you feel
that it's a decal that you might have found in a LEGO set.  To me, the Ryder
truck decal in our layout is fine, it's something that you could easily imagine
inside a LEGO set.  Decals that create an illusion of a differently colored
brick are off limits to me.  If the average ten year old can tell that it's a
decal then it's fine.  If he/she asks me what set I used to get that brick
colored purple then it's off limits.  A tentative line with gray areas, but
close enough that I feel when you're arguing about that then you're probably
splitting hairs.

Please note the generous use of "to me".  This is an issue that you need to
decide that you're comfortable with.

John3

In the model shop, the criteria was similar to the above with the exception
that almost all string, wires, pneumatic, and motors were non-Lego.  Lego parts
wore out too fast.  Decals were not used unless they came with the set.  (Of
course we were in the business of selling sets, so that's what we mostly used
in the displays.)