 Trains / 2840
Re: LTMA vs NMRA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:43:04 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
There is a lot of debate going on right now about the perceived future
of LEGO trains.  Many fear TLC will abandon the theme and that they will
be left high and dry.  Some fear that those fearing the demise of the
theme will bring in non-LEGO elements into the fray thereby diluting the
all-LEGO component currently being observed by most FOLTs.

On the idea of Rivtek or other brands, they can only help our cause, not hurt
them.  I actually have 3 tyco elements I use in my Lego creations because they
are an awesome piece TLC never came up with.  It adds to the realism of the
creations.  And I don't give a crap about who makes the bricks, just the
quality.  If Lego was put under by Tyco and all the sets now were Tyco, this
system could just as easily be named TUGNET (sorry Todd :-)) and we would be
building Tyco block trains.  After all, Lego wasn't the first conecting brick
company.

Much of this discussion, IMO, reveals the ambiguity of the LEGO train
hobby.  What is it that we really want?  I used to think that I wanted
to be recognized and respected as a model railroad builder in a
particular medium in and among the MRR community.  Now I don't.  It was
Steve Barile who suggested the International LEGO Train Conference that
got me to thinking.  Why did I want to be a part of the NMRA?  Other
than the recognition, what else was there for me and my LEGO trains?
Nothing.

Mucho agreance here.  Drop the NMRA

That is why I think that we should be forming the LTMA (LEGO Train
Modelers Association) and begin doing our own thing.  Have our own
shows.  Promote LEGO trains.  Promote LEGO.  Create our own newsletter.
Maybe some day a magazine.  I think this has the best chance of catching
TLC's attention.  Perhaps they would want to become involved in some
manner in such an organization.  Being apart of anything else is
extraneous and not about what we are about-- building and enjoying LEGO
trains.

Comments?

-John

Yo quiero LTMA.

All kidding aside, I would rather see that than see us join the NMRA.  The
NMRA would serve itself at our expense and treat us as a draw for them, rather
than the other way around.  I still think we should go to the train shows, as
it gives us exposure we wouldn't have otherwise, but I would only go to the
NMRA and GATS shows to see if there was a Lego setup or to get town layout
ideas to put into my Lego layout.

My counter to the subliminal Denver pull is to have a show in Carlsbad and try
to coordinate something with Legoland CA.  I could see if I can find out if
they would be interested in having a Lego Train convention there, although I
would guess that they wouldn't be too enthusiastic about it.  I don't know
why, but that is my gut feeling.  (To clarify, I would suggest having it out
of the park)

But I wouldn't be opposed to Denver, either.

Mike Poindexter