 Trains / 7325
Re: What if 9V went away? (Was re: LTMA vs NMRA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 04:44:31 GMT

  Err...um...in some ways it is a tough question in other ways it is an easy
question, and of course the answer is that it depends.

What if 9v trains went away...
  If LEGO is discontinuing trains, shame on them, but I'll continue to build.
After all, everyone here has shown that we do not actually need trains to build
trains. We might get some parts (not including train specific items like
wheelsets) from the LEGO train sets, but we get a great many parts from other
themes. If LEGO is changing to a new incompatible system, shame on them, but I
will continue to build. If LEGO is expanding the 9v line, hurray!
  When I say expanding I mean that LEGO could change voltage, change motor
design, and add everything Larry wants, but all of the new stuff should be
compatible with the old track. The best I can tell is that no one really has a
problem with the track itself; instead, it seems that people have problems with
the tight curvature of the track and the lack of options. The obvious solution
to me is to add new track that addresses the curvature and geometry issues but
still connects to the old track.
  For me the biggest problem is money. I do not have as much money sunk into 9v
trains as some of you, but still most of my fun money has gone into LEGO and 9v
trains. Switching everything to a new system would be cost prohibitive for me. I
could spend money on upgrading my old stuff, or I could spend money on new
stuff. I guess either way LEGO would get my money, but I would like to minimize
the amount of money spent on updating my old stuff.
  To give you an idea of the size of my collection, and where I am coming from,
I'll add some heretofore unannounced statistics. I have seven motors, 4 boxes of
curved rails, 6 boxes of straight rails, curved and straight rails from 4 train
sets, two sets of points, and a crossover track. My collection by AFOL standards
is moderate to small (probably small) at just under 50,000 pieces.
  So, I am not talking about a huge collection. But it would be nice to be able
to build on my collection instead of trying to modernize the collection by
replacing all the wheelsets, all the motors, and all the track.

Sincerely,
Chris

P.S. I think it should be noted that someone, a FOLT (Fan Of Lego Trains?) I
think, pointed out that trains may be one of the last areas, if not the last
area, where the good guys vs bad guys atmosphere has not intruded. So, in a way,
giving up on trains is like giving up on the idea of non confrontational fun.

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

NOW, let's suppose for the sake of argument that TLC in fact *does* can the 9
volt Train theme.  I am curious as to everybody's reaction.  Would you bail on
trains altogether?  Would it not affect you at all.

I think I would remain active in Lego Trains. Whether or not I stayed with 9V
or converted to the putative new system depends on the details. I convert all
my 12V stuff to 9V, not because (V is better than 12V operationally, (it
isn't, 12V has much cooler accessories, etc.) but because its more practical.

If the new system is way better, I will convert (and sell off a lot of 9V
track which would be good for those not converting). If it stinketh, I will
stay.

Things that would make it better have been named off before. TLC would indeed
be wise to heed FOLTs on this, as we know more about trains and what adults
want than they do, and if there is a theme that is more dominated by adults
than trains (other than, perhaps, technic/robotics) I would like to know which
one.

Bears repeating, though... my hot list is (in order from hottest):

- better track geometry: multiple radii, multiple tangent lengths, rational
points geometry so we can build sidings AND diverging tracks
- more types of wheels and more styles of couplers. 2 wheel types and only
buffers is confining, i want american proto couplers.
- Break the motor/wheels connection or better yet modularize the whole
motor/power system so we can insert our own DCC
- more types of motors so we can do more wheel arrangements
- Lego DCC
- Some sort of well thought out accessory scheme for signals, remote
controlled devices and switches, etc.
- flex track if TLC can figure out how to do it. (it's hard)
- Better parts: more doors and windows, freight doors and rails, etc.

++Lar

--
PGP public key available upon request.