 Trains / 2841
Re: LTMA vs NMRA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:48:02 GMT

John Neal wrote in message <383B2665.A4C40D72@uswest.net>...
There is a lot of debate going on right now about the perceived future
of LEGO trains.  Many fear TLC will abandon the theme and that they will
be left high and dry.  Some fear that those fearing the demise of the
theme will bring in non-LEGO elements into the fray thereby diluting the
all-LEGO component currently being observed by most FOLTs.

Much of this discussion, IMO, reveals the ambiguity of the LEGO train
hobby.  What is it that we really want?  I used to think that I wanted
to be recognized and respected as a model railroad builder in a
particular medium in and among the MRR community.  Now I don't.  It was
Steve Barile who suggested the International LEGO Train Conference that
got me to thinking.  Why did I want to be a part of the NMRA?  Other
than the recognition, what else was there for me and my LEGO trains?
Nothing.

That is why I think that we should be forming the LTMA (LEGO Train
Modelers Association) and begin doing our own thing.  Have our own
shows.  Promote LEGO trains.  Promote LEGO.  Create our own newsletter.
Maybe some day a magazine.  I think this has the best chance of catching
TLC's attention.  Perhaps they would want to become involved in some
manner in such an organization.  Being apart of anything else is
extraneous and not about what we are about-- building and enjoying LEGO
trains.

I think that would be a good idea, however, I also think that we should
continue to pursue NMRA recognition. LEGO trains are a valid model
railroading segment (as the NMRA president clearly indicated). That being
so, there is absolutely no reason not to pursue recognition within the NMRA.
It can not possibly hurt us, and I think will help us. I could quite easily
see an NMRA SIG being able to set up a deal where they would create special
sets available to members only, providing parts that we strongly desire. I
think TLC will find it a lot harder to ignore us when we become firmly
established within the NMRA, especially when that establishment creates
serious competitors to LEGO.

For me personally, if it comes to pass that the NMRA creates serious
competitors to LEGO, and TLC still refuses to answer our needs, I would
gladly consider totally blowing off LEGO when the competitors provide
everything I need.

Also, the way to build up our numbers is to recruit in a venue which already
is filled with people interested in trains, who may be looking for something
different. Dad looking for something less fragile for the kids to enjoy the
hobby with, but cheaper than LGB (price LGB out, LEGO trains are definitely
cheaper). An aging hobbyist may be looking to switch from N or HO which her
hands are no longer capable of working with. The best way to do this
recruitment is to take the LEGO trains to the existing shows.

On the other hand, we should certainly pursue working outside the NMRA in
parallel. It definitely works. I am interested in narrow gauge railroading,
and subscribe to The Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette. There is a whole
community which has it's own national convention separate from the NMRA, and
which appears to be very successful, but they also participate in the NMRA.

Frank