 Technic / 7432
Re: Cutting Lego, any Lego ... *my* lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 13:14:25 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Miguel Agullo writes:
As I said earlier, I'm very tolerant. By no means I was trying to
imply that MOCs with modified pieces do not interest me. Of course
they do, and I truly appreciate the creativity put into them. But
I won't cut or modify *my* Lego pieces for *my* MOCs. Part of it
might be fetichistic, but there is a at least a one solid argument
for it based entirely on logical reasoning.

Well, there is another good argument for not modifying your parts. Chances
are, the part in question came from a set. Modifying the part will
effectively ruin the set, or ruin the value of the set.

There are many fantastic models out there incorporating new elements
or modifying existing ones. This also includes professional Lego
models done for displays, parks, etc. But no matter how awesome
in avery other aspect they might be, there is one fundamental
"flaw" with them. They cannot be inmediately replicated.

There is no flaw with any creation (unless you're using clone bricks ;-)

If a builder, who is against modifying parts, cannot recreate someone else's
MOCs, then they are in an equal situation with another builder who has
limited parts (and a limited budget) and cannot recreate a MOC made of 100%
non-modified Lego.

I've heard the argument before against modified parts, stating that other
builders cannot recreate MOCs made using modified parts (assuming the other
builders are against cutting and filing). I think most MOCs you see, 100%
Lego or not, are impossible to recreate.

Think reasonably- even though a MOC is 100% non-modified Lego, can you
really replicate it? Fundamentally perhaps, but acutally? No. You'll most
likely have to meet with the originator of the model, agree to build a
replica, tear into the original model to understand how it's constructed
(nearly all of us build without instructions- the model is all in our head),
spend XXX hours getting it done, and then what? You've just went to all that
trouble to build something someone else built first.

My point is that it's impossible. It's just as impossible as the builder who
refuses to modify parts cannot recreate a MOC that uses modified parts.

As for the 100% Lego or everything else, it's not a seeing-the-
world-in-black-and-white fantasy. It has a practical base.

See above two paragraphs for a "practical" perspective.

If you allow "some" changes, then it becomes really hard to make
the call of which change is OK and which is not. If the Lego-only
solutions are plenty, the "Lego and anything else" are infinite
and, specially in contests, at the end you are forced to make
decisions that might seem unfair. As in un-fun. As in un-Lego.
As in non-Lego.

If your intent is to enter your creation in a contest, then specific rules
about modification should be present (i.e. the current MoTeC rules about
non-Lego elements). That's fair enough and allows objective judging.

However, if your looking at a random MOC someone posted here, then the
"purist" attitude isn't justified, IMO.

TJ

p.s. For the MoTeC contest, it's just for fun. I think that if modified
parts are allowed, then the voters will surely take that in consideration
when they judge. The voters' opinion is what is most important. After all,
they will recognize excellent construction when a builder has overcome a
serious problem with 100% Lego, rather than resorting to modified parts.

p.s.s. If you want a challenge, replicate this:
http://www.texbrick.com/creations/tractor/
and recreate it "verbatim". Yes, it's 100% non-modified Lego (with the
addition of a HiTechnic R/C control). No I do not have instructions, it is
currently disassembled and has been resorted into my parts bins, I do not
have anymore pictures, I cannot give any guidance on its construction. Good
luck!