 Technic / 7452
Re: MoTeC rule question.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2002 14:37:41 GMT

<<snip>>

The MoTeC rules of today does not allow such modifications, the
question is: Should it?

Perhaps one should allow more modifications and non LEGO parts? I
personally think the Technic genre needs more modified parts and non
LEGO elements then other LEGO genres.

<<snip>>

Hi, once more I manage to grow a big thread in lugnet.technic.

I've read 'em all up to now and it looks like the "Yes"-side is bigger
then the "No"-side.

Still, I feel I don't want to let the modified and "pure" MOC's fight
head to head with no limits and the amount of models that come to
MoTeC is to small to have two separate classes.

My suggestion is to _allow_ modifications _but_ these MOC's will be
clearly marked as "Modified" on the vote-page and other pages on the
MoTeC site. Also, the information text on the MOC's homepage _must_
specify exactly what parts have been modified, the amount of parts and
how they are modified - or if there is non LEGO elements in the MOC
that should also be clearly specified. If the model is on Brickshelf
there should be a info textfile with this information.

This way it can be up to the voters if they like or dislike modifying.

The relevant model that sprung the question will be disqaulified from
this May voting process and the new rules will spring to action
starting with MoTeC June, when the model might enter again should the
creator decide so. I wont reveal what model it is but it's out of the
competition for May - unless the creator feels ok with that in which
case I'll remove the entry from the vote page ASAP.

I will also add a text about pneumatic housing and make it clear that
it may be cut into good length and might also be non-LEGO brand, just
like string and rubber bands. This kind of modifications will not
"punish" [1] the MOC's into the "Modified" marking.

Cutting tubes (corrugated and flexi) counts as modifications.

Another way to "punish" non-pure MOC's would be to decrease the amount
of votes with a set percentage like 10% or so. But I feel that clearly
stating the MOC's modifications should be a more exact science (and
educational both for the viewers and perhaps for the creator that
might receive tips on how to do the same thing purely.

Does this sound like a good solution to you?

1. I suspect MOC's with the "Modified" marking will get a lower amount
of votes since a "pure" MOC should impress more on the voters then a
exact replica with modifications. Still, a modifed MOC might be better
then all of the other MOC's in a given month and win the lot. Only
time will tell.

/Tobbe

http://www.arnesson.nu/lotek/