 Technic / 7399
  MoTeC rule question.

Hi all! As you might or might not know the MoTeC competition/challenge is all lugnet.technic readers competition and I feel you all should be able to improve on the competition. A question about the rules have come to mind. The worm gears needs some (...) (22 years ago, 6-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

Yes!!!! :) JB (...) <<<<< (22 years ago, 6-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

No!!!! :( SRL (...) <<<<< (22 years ago, 6-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

I certainly think it should be allowed. -Brian (22 years ago, 6-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

(...) I see no reason why not. Of course *I'd* never use such modifications o8?) ROSCO (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

(...) I think small modifications should be allowed, as long as the finished model is 99% pure Lego. In the end, it should all be up to the voters. If they don't like modified Lego parts, or non-Lego parts, in the models then they will not vote for (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

(...) I've never had any problems. (...) I think if we follow this route we should split the competiton into two catagories. Keep the current rules and add a parallel class for models containing modified parts. I realise this would create more (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

Tobbe, Keep it Pure! That is part of the Challange! Finding ways to work with the short commings is part of building. True the worm gears have a significant amount of backlash, but using wormgears without another means to soak up the slack needs (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

Check me out preaching Purity! And I never even entered the Contest! (chants ~Mech~ quietly) Legomaster (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

"Eric Sophie" <mylegomaster@cs.com> wrote in message news:GvqJos.Eu5@lugnet.com... (...) Easy - just use a bit of corrugated tube of the right length as a washer. I'm assuming that cutting flex and corrugated tubes is acceptable ;-) Jennifer (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Cutting Lego, any Lego ...

... is not acceptable in my book. I don't specially like corrugated tubes, but that doesn't mean I can cut them up (I'd rather just not use thwm). Why would be cutting some pieces OK and cutting others (i.e. axles) not OK? I'm generally a pretty (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Cutting Lego, any Lego ...

Ahmen! Can I hear a Purist oh "H*ll Ya!" (I gotta say, Jenifer's stuff is really great, She has included non-Lego parts custom made by John Barnes in her MOCs. I hear they work Jim-Dandy. It's just not for me or other Purists.) Legomaster (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Cutting Lego, any Lego ...

(...) Certain pieces, like pneumatic tubing, almost require cutting in order to use them. In fact, a lot of Lego produced sets come with long lengths of tubing and instruct the builder to cut them to length. How about the stiff "flex" tubing (the (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

I just wanted to elaborate on my reasoning. Using such things does take away from the 100% lego idea, which is seldom a good thing to do. Although, I do believe these worms gears are an issue. Only if these non-lego parts are used in a (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Cutting Lego, any Lego ...

(...) I've slid a bit, I guess. I still don't like cutting of elements (although maybe if it was done by someone else that had a computer controlled milling machine!) but I now fully support (as in, I use them in my production custom sets): - custom (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Cutting Lego, any Lego ...

"miguel agullo" <technicpuppy@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:GvqwI4.Kor@lugnet.com... (...) Why (...) I think TJ said it all with respect to cutting pneumatic tubing; there are simply some parts where being cut to length is by definition part of (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

In lugnet.technic, Brian Sadowski writes: Hmmmm.....Good Point. E (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Cutting Lego, any Lego ...

(...) What paper do you recommend? I picked up a pack of Birdcage-Rated scrap at the local Office Depot, and I pretty much got what I paid for. I didn't want to drop an additional $20 on an unknown product, though. For that matter, what kind of (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

Hey, Tobbe, maybe you could just go with a "Spirit" of a contest. You know, the best and coolest MOC wins. People Are gonna vote for what they like anyway. In the end do the specs really matter if people are gonna vote with different perspectives in (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Cutting Lego, any Lego ...

There are times when a part must be cut to length. The only offence here is pretending that you did not. This drives others insane when they try to reproduce your MOC. Admit it and document it. -- Bob Fay THE SHOP (URL) agullo" (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

I've read all the posts on this subject and in my mind all the arguments reinforce my idea of a two tier Motec. I've had another thought since my earlier post. Purists who wanted to compete against modified models could easily enter the modified (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Cutting Lego, any Lego ...

(...) In support of this, when I made my silver champ, I found that a piece of corrugated tubing was missing. Some time later (about six months) I phoned up Lego and asked if they could send me my missing piece. As the model was packed away, I could (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

(...) Name suggestion - call the 'modified' category "MoTeC Unlimited". If you're going to allow modified bricks, though, you should also allow MegaBlox and homebrew robotics parts... --Bill. (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

(...) I've gotta disagree here - sometimes finding the best way using modified parts is just as much a challenge as doing it "pure". (Yes, I have used some modified parts - I just don't like to broadcast it!.) So I'd like to see models with minor (...) (22 years ago, 7-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Cutting Lego, any Lego ... *my* lego

(...) As I said earlier, I'm very tolerant. By no means I was trying to imply that MOCs with modified pieces do not interest me. Of course they do, and I truly appreciate the creativity put into them. But I won't cut or modify *my* Lego pieces for (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Cutting Lego, any Lego ... *my* lego

(...) Well, there is another good argument for not modifying your parts. Chances are, the part in question came from a set. Modifying the part will effectively ruin the set, or ruin the value of the set. (...) There is no flaw with any creation (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Cutting Lego, any Lego ...

I just thought I would share an interesting experience I had that is related to this subject... In October at our local Toronto area Lego robotics competition, someone brought in a wall climbing robot that had been built by an official Lego designer (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Cutting Lego, any Lego ... *my* lego

Hi again, We could go on argueing forever. Instead, let me address the creativity, replicability and modifications issues using Lego (and only Lego!). Enter the Blue Bike. (URL) the time of building it, the only flex system pieces I had were the (...) (22 years ago, 8-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

<<snip>> (...) <<snip>> Hi, once more I manage to grow a big thread in lugnet.technic. I've read 'em all up to now and it looks like the "Yes"-side is bigger then the "No"-side. Still, I feel I don't want to let the modified and "pure" MOC's fight (...) (22 years ago, 11-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

(...) Nope, and I'll tell you why. It is my MOC which is subject to debate. In my shrimp rover, on one of the wheels I used the non-lego parts which are in question. Here is the picture: (URL) is the MOC: (URL) you can clearly see the two plastic (...) (22 years ago, 11-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

(...) Nope, and I'll tell you why. It is my MOC which is subject to debate. In my shrimp rover, on one of the wheels I used the non-lego parts which are in question. Here is the picture: (URL) is the MOC: (URL) you can clearly see the two plastic (...) (22 years ago, 11-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Sorry for Double Post

Opps, sorry, I did not mean to double post that (22 years ago, 11-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

In lugnet.technic, Brian Sadowski writes: [Additional stuff added from Tobbe's post] (...) [snip] (...) I agree, and I don't see any problem specifically allowing non-LEGO elements such as yours in future MoTeCs, however the current rules (as (...) (22 years ago, 12-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

(...) There were personal e-mails between me and Tobbe. In an e-mail to me, Tobbe tells me, I have been found breaking the rules. He also goes on to say how he does not know a punishment, and he will ask the group. My understanding, from his (...) (22 years ago, 12-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

(...) What I meant was to ask the group if modifications should be allowed or not. Sorry if my English made you think otherwise. It's not always easy to write in English when my mind keep thinking in Swedish. Here's my text I wrote to you: "I'm (...) (22 years ago, 12-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

(...) I think it's the 2x6 weight you refer too? It's very hard to find that part outside US w/o using Bricklink since Dacta is limited. Still, they are very expensive. Come to think about it a batterybox should do the trick in most cases. The rules (...) (22 years ago, 12-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

But can you actually put batteries in the battery boxes? Lego doesn't make batteries! <grin> (...) (22 years ago, 12-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Key aspect and my vote

(...) I am as hard-core a purist as they come, but the above argument sounds pretty definite to me, and more so if we take into account the ballast question. Cosmetic changes, those non essential to the workings of the machine are ok. It's not like (...) (22 years ago, 13-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

(...) The only reason I brought it up was because of the another paragraph and the subsequent e-mail. "Personally I don't mind modifications as long as, say, 90% is LEGO. But the rules are there and if your entry does not qualify I might have to (...) (22 years ago, 14-May-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: MoTeC rule question.

<<snip>> (...) You're back in. I thought you had all six wheels set up like that. Sorry about all this fuss. I hope it did not damage your reputation in any way. I've only had two or three votes since this issue came into public and they should not (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.technic)