 Technic / 16236
Re: New TECHNIC sets for Fall 2008
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 20:21:44 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Rob Hendrix wrote:
   Who puts LEDs in LEGO bricks? That’s sooo 20th century... :-P 1980? reference I assume these were LEDs, as I have never had the privelege of mutilating these for the sake of science.

I can confirm that these indeed are LEDs: I had one of these train signals as a child and somehow managed to burn out the red light. I then dissected the signal head to find out how it was made (I was about 13 at the time). It’s really simple: a circuit board with two parallel LEDs in opposite directions and a current-limiting resistor. Red or green light is selected by switching the polarity of the 12V current in the socket. (The signal controller does this, and switches current to the controlled track section.)

   Anyway. I’m excited to see these new PF elements surface. Linear actuators, LED lighting, and polarity switches, oh my!

Oh yes. I can’t wait. Although I for one love the pneumatics, and would like to see that line integrated with PF...

-- Juhana Siren