 Technic / 16114
Re: New TECHNIC sets for Fall 2008. Box images leaked!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:08:46 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gereon Stein wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Brian Davis wrote:
You can also have the NXT control the PF system via the IRLink (which the NXT
treats as a sensor) which can send IR commands just like a PF remote... or like
a IR train remote, for that matter... or talk to an RCX... gee, can you tell I
like the IRLink :) ?

greetings, the ability to control the PF ir link via the NXT  has been confirmed
?
I seem to recall someone indicating they couldn't control the new RC train
motors via the PF IR  controller. I personally think this would be an advantage
so you wouldn't have to deal with "crosstalk" if you built a RC train Crane Car
using PF motors to operate the Crane or to use the PF IR  for remote actuated
switch points.

Having the ability to control the RF IR via the NXT would enable us to add
motors/functions without drain on the NXT batteries.

I picked up on of the dino PF sets and was impressed by several points of the
set.

1: each bag was sorted according to type of block/ not by "assembly group"
( very nice to those of us that dump sets into parts without ever building from
the "plans"
2: good selection of technic parts( both studded and none studded technic beams
,along with a variety of connectors etc.IMO a good starter set for those without
many technic parts
3:both types of  of the new motors. the other sets appear to have only one or
the other type of motor.
4:the new  forced polarity connectors for the PF motors is a wonderful idea.
I had given my nephew two of the radio shack radio control car sets and he
complained "they never worked". I'm sure the old 9 volt connector along with his
lack of experience with DC voltage was probably the source of the failures.

the sound brick was the only "lame" piece I found but  it might entertain the
actual age group for which the set was intended( poor clarity/volume of the Dino
"roar"

overall, though I would like to thank the technic designers for a broadly
configured set.

Sorry to ramble off topic. I would like to know wether the NXT will control the
PF IR link motors if someone has already tried this .

Thanks!

   John

I might have guessed - actually using IR for communications is a better idea
than many people seem to think. I've already had my share of playing around with
IR on the RCX ;)

even with more powerful motors, the weak point
will lie in the plastic axles.

Don't use them in high-torque situations. You gear down at the end. In the few
cases I've needed a high-torque-bearing axle, I just make a composite one that's
stiffer (2L axles in axle joiners works well enough).

I call that an interesting and entirely sensible approach - will try. Thanks.

Also, thanks for clarifying on the new motor interface differences. Lacking both
a PF and an NXT set, I couldn't compare them myself (well, just yet...).

I'll need to get at least an NXT anyway, and the kids will ask for PF sets when
they become a little more readily available.

Jerry