 Technic / 16134
Re: New TECHNIC sets for Fall 2008. Box images leaked!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2008 22:24:41 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Myles Barrett wrote:
Personally I am really quite enthused by the linear actuators, for me the
actuators represent a new variant to the lego system that will enable
significantly better positioning than with pneumatic cylinders and will also not
suffer from the expansion when unloaded the pneumatics do.

As for the models, I can't wait to get my hands on them. The only minor grumble
that I have is as was pointed out earlier the fork tilt on the telehandler,
though rest assured that is not going to stop me buying it.

I look at it this way, Lego Technio is a toy, but it is also a vey valuable
engineering tuition tool, and the more different aspects of mechanical /
pneumatic / electrical systems that can be incorporated the better it becomes.
After all look how far the system has come since the 950 forklift in 1979!

Oh yes technic has deffinatley come a long way since then. And yes it is always
nice to see new functional parts being designed. There are some situations where
these actuators would be the perfect solution, but not many. A CNC machine,
whislt interesting to an AFOL, may not make a good toy for children. I would
welcome these new actuators if they was'nt used to replace pneumatic cylinders
however in the case of the excavator and the telehandler a new longer pneumatic
would have been far better. What about another really long one to extend the
boom (I saw one that was nicely done on brickshelf some time back).

As regards to power functions I think that pneumatics would be far easier to
integrate with them. Lets imagine Lego decides to make a PF control valve and an
air compressor that fits right onto the front of a PF motor (with a thru hole
like the fiberoptic unit). Just imagine what you could do with that. Up to eight
pneumatics fully remote controlled with only one motor (whilst still being very
powerful) for starters. That would be so cool.