 Technic / 16102
Re: New TECHNIC sets for Fall 2008. Box images leaked!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 23:04:02 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Allan Porter wrote:

Thank you very much for these pictures I have been very eager to see them.

However now that I have seen them I am quite dissapointed and I can't see me
buying any of them. It is very good to see them investing in new part designs
but this is such a cop out.

If they had longer pneumatics (powered by air) then that would have been great
but instead they have these stupid linear actuater things, each one requiring
it's own drive train. They may have some limited uses but I really hope this is
the last time we see them where there should be a pneumatic cylinder. I can't
see them being as powerful as pneumatics and motorising them will be very
awkward as you have to get drive to the end of every actuator (most likely
through universal joints making them even weaker). They would also be more
expensive to produce unless they have plastic workings inside, which would make
them even more crappy.

The off roader has some lights and a pole revearser switch. Nice but i'm not
gonna spend about £75 just to get a light bulb on wheels. Where's the gear box?
where's the 4 wheel drive?

Excavtor 4/10 for it's looks and tracks.

Telehandler 2/10 for it's looks.

Off roader 1/10 for it's pole revearser switch (and it was lucky to get that!)

Hey, Lego, you still have time to replace those shoddy actuators with longer
pneumatics.

P.S lego did some research some years back into linear actuators but must have
decided (quite rightly) to go for the more realistic pneumatic approach.

I'd pretty much agree with that appraisal, it looks like the Telehandler doesn't
even self level, which is the whole point.

Unless the liner actuators have metal bearings their gonna stink. My pessimistic
side says this is just another money saving downgrade. Maybe they'll work as
actuators on 1:13 hooklift truck?

I'll be buying the mars misson set with the new tracks.

I'm really glad they've brought out a pole reverser as it was the one part
missing from the new electrical line upto now.

The sets with power puller wheels look bloated to me as if the thinking behind
them is "size equals perceived value for money".