 Technic / 16104
Re: New TECHNIC sets for Fall 2008. Box images leaked!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 23:52:25 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gereon Stein wrote:

I shall be curious about the actual functionality of
the actuators, though - curious but sceptical.

Simply put, I'll wait until I get to play with them to judge them. It's a little
hard for me to form a realistic opinion based on a couple of boxcover pictures
near the limit of resolution.

I figure the PF motor connector is identical to the
one on the NXT, making motors interchangeable again
- or am I mistaken?

Actually, you're partially mistaken. The NXT cable are a six-wire cable with an
offset RJ-type plug, while the PF cables are four-wire with a 2x2 partially
studded end, so to first order they are not interconnectable. However, LEGO has
released converter cables that allow you to connect the PF cables to the
old-style 9V leads, and there is the previously released converter cable that
allows the NXT port to be wired to the old 9V system. So if you use two
converter cables (NXT --> NXT-to-9V converter --> 9V-to-PF converter --> PF
motor), you can have an NXT directly power a PF motor.

That's not as stupid & backwards as it might seem. The NXT system needs six
wires to talk to each NXT motor (with built-in encoders), while the PF system
does not (so using those sort of cables would be added expense and problems with
no real advantages... unless they put encoders in the PF motors, which would
drive up both the size and the price).

You can also have the NXT control the PF system via the IRLink (which the NXT
treats as a sensor) which can send IR commands just like a PF remote... or like
a IR train remote, for that matter... or talk to an RCX... gee, can you tell I
like the IRLink :) ?

even with more powerful motors, the weak point
will lie in the plastic axles.

Don't use them in high-torque situations. You gear down at the end. In the few
cases I've needed a high-torque-bearing axle, I just make a composite one that's
stiffer (2L axles in axle joiners works well enough).

One question I've not figured out yet - where is this new "Mars Mission" set
some have mentioned, with new treads? I've not seen that.

--
Brian Davis