 Technic / 16106
Re: New TECHNIC sets for Fall 2008. Box images leaked!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 00:30:23 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Brian Davis wrote:
You can also have the NXT control the PF system via the IRLink (which the NXT
treats as a sensor) which can send IR commands just like a PF remote... or like
a IR train remote, for that matter... or talk to an RCX... gee, can you tell I
like the IRLink :) ?

I might have guessed - actually using IR for communications is a better idea
than many people seem to think. I've already had my share of playing around with
IR on the RCX ;)

even with more powerful motors, the weak point
will lie in the plastic axles.

Don't use them in high-torque situations. You gear down at the end. In the few
cases I've needed a high-torque-bearing axle, I just make a composite one that's
stiffer (2L axles in axle joiners works well enough).

I call that an interesting and entirely sensible approach - will try. Thanks.

Also, thanks for clarifying on the new motor interface differences. Lacking both
a PF and an NXT set, I couldn't compare them myself (well, just yet...).

I'll need to get at least an NXT anyway, and the kids will ask for PF sets when
they become a little more readily available.

Jerry