 Star Wars / 6401
Re: Feelings over 2000 sets . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 16:05:30 GMT

I was extremely pleased with the 1999 line as well. I'm a bit disappointed with
2000, though. The thing is, there didn't seem to be too many complaints about
scale in the 1999 sets. All the sets had a nice "heft" to them, good color
selections - it took a while of looking at them to think "I can make this
better." With the 2000 sets, for a lot of the sets, and I believe a lot of
other people besides myself, this was their first reaction. "I can do better."
The A-wing should've been bigger, the B-Wing should've been heavier, etc., etc.
When you compare the A-Wing to the Snowspeeder, I wonder why the snowspeeder
wasn't made smaller.

All this is propable due to price points. They need to put out sets within
certain price ranges, and with the first wave we just lucked out that the ships
were better represented within those price ranges. I guess with the selection
of ships for 2000, it was a lot harder for them to make more accurate
representations of the ships within those ranges. Frankly, I would rather have
seen a larger Slave-1, the Falcon as this years "big set", and the B-Wing as
next year's "big set", and an Imperial Shuttle for the year after that. The
A-Wing could've used about $5 more pieces, too, same as the Skiff (which
should've had some guards, fer cryin' out loud!)

Anyway, that's how I feel. As for other stuff coming up, this Pod Racer bucket
better have some good parts. And if they want to do another "bucket", I say
they do a TIE bucket - includes all the pieces you'd need to make a Tie
Fighter, Tie Bomber, and Tie Intercepter (only one at a time). That way, they
put out one set, but people will buy it three times.

-John

In lugnet.starwars, James Simpson writes:
I can only comment on the SW line, so here goes:

I was highly, highly satisfied with the 99 Lego Classic Line.  This was one of
the best group of releases ever.  The EPI line was definitely good, but not
great.  They had good pieces, but maybe the sets weren't as interesting,
appealing, attractive, etc. because IMHO, the Episode I vehicles are not
generally as interesting, appealing, attractive, etc. as the Episode IV-VI
vehicles.  I have been extremely pleased with the first run of 2000 SW • vehicles.
The parts selections of the B-Wing, A-Wing, Slave I, and Flash Speeder have • been
fantastic.  I have the Pit Droid, and I really like it, and of course, • everyone
loves the Battle Droid and Destroyer Droid...so, Scoreboard for SW Technic. • The
upcoming AAT looks great.  The MTT is a bit shabby, IMHO, because of the
unnecessary tan and green bricks that mar its appearance, and the Falcon is • sad.
But, the UCS vehicles rock.  So, I'd say that taken as a whole, the SW line • has
been admirably well done.  Really, I'd even venture that 1st run 2000 is every
bit