 Star Wars / 6371
6370  |  6372
Subject:
Feelings over 2000 sets . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 04:37:42 GMT

I know this is kind of late, seeing as how the 2000 sets have been out for a
couple of months now, but I wanted to say a few words about my personal
feelings of the new sets and also get input from everyone else.

When I first heard about SW sets, I had just come out of my dark ages and
was extremely excited. I eagery awaited the March 1st release date. Well, as
we all know, March came and went and there wasn't much to be seen of these
sets. Well, I finally got my hands on them a few months later. I bought all
of them at once, much to the dismay of my girlfriend who went out Lego
hunting with me. When I got home I just sat there and admired the boxes. At
21, it brought back feelings of waking up on Christmas morning to find toys
under the tree . . . a feeling I hadn't experienced to it's fullest in
almost ten years.

The same feeling occurred with the May release of the Ep. 1 sets. I went to
the midnight opening that TRU had and got all the sets they had on hand. I
didn't sleep at all that night, in anticipation of building these new sets.
I was out hunting the other stores as soon as they opened the next day. I
again experienced that feeling of a kid on Christmas day.

With the 2000 sets, though there was a lot of eager anticipation, the same
giddy feeling wasn't there. I wasn't as eager to open the sets. And, as
strange as it may sound, I didn't even like the way the boxes looked. They
didn't evoke the same feelings as the previous year's sets.  Once I built
the sets, I didn't feel that the quality was as high as the previous year. I
felt that there was a slight bit of juniorization creeping in.

Maybe these different feelings are just a result of the fact that all my
favorites were covered in the 1999 release (though I doubt it, seeing as how
I love the A-wing). Maybe my love of the brick is just dwindling (though I
don't think it's that, either). Maybe the novelty has worn off.  If
anything, this is probably the case, though I've had situations where things
weren't as pleasing simply  because the novelty was gone. This isn't the
same feeling. Anyway . . . I hope this didn't get too long. Any responses
would be greatly appreciated.

-Jonathan