 Star Wars / 6398
Re: Feelings over 2000 sets . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 23:34:05 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Brad Hamilton writes:
The town sets continue to get (seemingly) smaller and more juniorized.  I
actually got a lot of good from the old command post central and motorcycle
shop "junior" sets from a few years ago. Those sets provided great pieces at a
good price.  Unfortunately, the new ones don't seem to continue this trend.
6600 (the one with the highway pieces) looks cool, but the cheapest I've seen
it for is $70 (at Zany Brainy).  The new fire station (6478) is too small and
simplified.  It has some decent parts, but you almost have to buy 2 or 3 of
them (plus some bulk parts sets) to be able to build something semi-realistic.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts,

Brad

I have to disagree. The 2000 Town sets still suck, but are much better than
the 1999 sets. The 2000 sets feature less simplification than last year. And
instructions to sets finally contain more than 2 or 3 steps. (For example,
6439, Mini Dumper from 1999, has 2 steps and the bed does not even dump. 6470,
Mini Dumper from 2000, has 6 steps with a tilting bed). Also, 6471 4x4 Police
Patrol does not use a one piece chassis.