 Star Wars / 6372
Re: Feelings over 2000 sets . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 04:48:22 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jonathan Little writes:

With the 2000 sets, though there was a lot of eager anticipation, the same
giddy feeling wasn't there.

I've had mixed feelings about the 2000 sets.

I've been very happy with the new Arctic ones.  These are only moderately
juniorized and provided a lot of neat, new parts that I've integrated into my
creations.

The castle sets look promising as well.  I never really got into the ninja
stuff.  Perhaps I'm more attuned to Western rather than Eastern architecture.
I haven't yet purchaced a 2000 castle set, but I will within a month or so.

On the other hand, the star wars sets seem to be getting a bit "sloppy" with
the 2000 sets.  The ones due out in the summer look even worse from this
respect.  The color coordination is just awful.

The town sets continue to get (seemingly) smaller and more juniorized.  I
actually got a lot of good from the old command post central and motorcycle
shop "junior" sets from a few years ago. Those sets provided great pieces at a
good price.  Unfortunately, the new ones don't seem to continue this trend.
6600 (the one with the highway pieces) looks cool, but the cheapest I've seen
it for is $70 (at Zany Brainy).  The new fire station (6478) is too small and
simplified.  It has some decent parts, but you almost have to buy 2 or 3 of
them (plus some bulk parts sets) to be able to build something semi-realistic.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts,

Brad