 Star Wars / 6373
Re: Feelings over 2000 sets . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 05:13:56 GMT

"Jonathan Little" <piano254@aol.com> wrote in message
news:Fqs26u.DHF@lugnet.com...
When I first heard about SW sets, I had just come out of my dark ages and
was extremely excited.

The same happened to me.  In 2 years BSWL [1], I bought at the most 4
technic sets.  Since then I have bought so many system sets my pocketbook
will never be the same!  Technic count since: 1.

At 21, it brought back feelings of waking up on Christmas morning to find • toys
under the tree . . . a feeling I hadn't experienced to it's fullest in
almost ten years. • It has been about 16 years for me
With the 2000 sets, though there was a lot of eager anticipation, the same
giddy feeling wasn't there.

The opposite can be said for me.  With the 2000 line, I was on the "hunt"
for the first time.  I looked for weeks, and when the shelves at TRU finally
filled up, I was THRILLED.

Once I built the sets, I didn't feel that the quality was as high as the • previous year. I
felt that there was a slight bit of juniorization creeping in.

The desert skiff is the only one I can't stand.  Han or not, I wish I would
have spent that money on candy or something.

Maybe these different feelings are just a result of the fact that all my
favorites were covered in the 1999 release (though I doubt it, seeing as • how
I love the A-wing). Maybe my love of the brick is just dwindling (though I
don't think it's that, either). Maybe the novelty has worn off.  If
anything, this is probably the case, though I've had situations where • things
weren't as pleasing simply  because the novelty was gone.

As I stated before, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that SW is no
longer new.  The novelty is gone.  As far as the models go, I still haven't
taken apart the A-wing or Slave I (I did part one out to my bins, though).
The MF on the other hand is a different story.
The more I see it, the less I think I will pay 100 bucks for it.

--
---D M Garcia
http://www.geocities.com/dmglego/