 Star Wars / 6377
Re: Feelings over 2000 sets . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 07:07:20 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Brad Hamilton writes:
I've been very happy with the new Arctic ones.  These are only moderately
juniorized and provided a lot of neat, new parts that I've integrated into my
creations.

I can´t say I am happy with this line. I like the minifigs and the idea a lot,
but I think it´s a bit too juniorized. What I really would have liked to see
is a "Pistenbully". I am not shure what the right translations for this is.
It´s the machine that prepares the slopes for skiers :)

The castle sets look promising as well.  I never really got into the ninja
stuff.  Perhaps I'm more attuned to Western rather than Eastern architecture.
I haven't yet purchaced a 2000 castle set, but I will within a month or so.

On the other hand, the star wars sets seem to be getting a bit "sloppy" with
the 2000 sets.  The ones due out in the summer look even worse from this
respect.  The color coordination is just awful.

Actally I am very pleased with their colors. Even the MF which is just grey to
me in the movies, looks great with the choosen colors. The cockpit however is
unforgivable. I can´t wait to see the MTT. It looks like a great model and an
excellent source for wanted pieces. No matter what theme you are in, the SW-
line is the one to buy if your are looking for decent pieces.

The town sets continue to get (seemingly) smaller and more juniorized.  I
actually got a lot of good from the old command post central and motorcycle
shop "junior" sets from a few years ago. Those sets provided great pieces at a
good price.  Unfortunately, the new ones don't seem to continue this trend.
6600 (the one with the highway pieces) looks cool, but the cheapest I've seen
it for is $70 (at Zany Brainy).  The new fire station (6478) is too small and
simplified.  It has some decent parts, but you almost have to buy 2 or 3 of
them (plus some bulk parts sets) to be able to build something semi-realistic.

Some things I don´t understand about the town theme: is arresting people,
fighting fires and building roads the only things minifigs do today ? Seems
like some boring life to me. Well at last they have some train(s) to commute...

Looking at the great list of afol-train-enthusiast, I wonder why this theme is
not getting more attention by TLG.

I am missing the old days, when I used to play with LEGO. I used to be into
the space theme only as a kid but these days every set looked great to me. The
SW-line is bringing back these feelings...

Just my 0.2€, dö