 Star Wars / 1013
Re: A Falcon in the works???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:56:22 GMT

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:01:39 GMT, "Ben Fleskes" <benfleskes@msn.com> wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Steve Bliss writes:
I agree, if TLG can make a decent MF for $150, they will sell a ton.

Steve

*If* TLG could make a decent MF for $150, yes I agree, they will sell more then
probably any other $150 set they have produced.

But I do not think TLG can produce a decent MF for $150.  Based on a pricing
model of $0.10 a piece, $150 would limit you to around 1500 pieces.  I'd
challenge anyone out there to build a decent MF using less then 2000 pieces.
The models out there, in my estimate use anywhere from 3000 or more pieces,
probably closer to 5000 pieces.

Compare TLG models to MOC models.  MOC models nearly always use many more
pieces than comparable TLG models.  So if MOC MF's use 2000 pieces, TLG can
produce a streamlined version with about 1000 pieces.  'Streamlined' in
this case means optimized for reduced part count, not simplified, dumbed
down, or any other negative connotations.  Not saying that TLG wouldn't do
some simplifying in a MF set, but it's not what I'm talking about here.

So let us say TLG makes MF model using only
4000 pieces.  You are looking at a $400 set.  And who knows, may they will
release one at that price.  I'm not aware on any sets that originally cost that
much, but there is a first time for everything.  TLG has been breaking many of
their entrenched rules as of late, maybe they will break the $200 price barrier
with a Lego MF.

On large sets, they seem to go both above and below the $0.10 mark. I think
the best comparision is Model Team.  Large Technic sets almost always
include electrical components, which drives the price up.  The large Model
Team set is 5571 Giant Truck.  1743 pieces for $139MSRP.  Just under $0.08
per piece.  I don't remember 5571 having lots of tiny pieces, so this might
be a fair comparision.

I'm not optimistic though.  But let's say they did come out with one for $500
and included 5000 pieces.  I'd buy it without even blinking.

I'd blink, but I'd buy it.

How big (in size) would a decent MF have to be?  Hmm.  Start by assuming a
minifig-scale set (that is, one that comes with minifigs).  The basic
reference-point is the cockpit area.  This would *have* to be at least 7
studs wide, to allow two minifigs to sit side-by-side.  The walls next to
the seats would have to use thin wall panels, to allow arm room (I'd rather
have 8 to 10 studs for this area, but let's stick to the minimum).  For
height, a mini-fig requires *at least* 5 brick-heights (6 stud-widths)
clearance for walking, which brings our minimum cockpit-arm diameter up to
8 studs wide.

So, with 8-studs for the cockpit arm, how big does the main body have to
be?  My main criterion is that it should not look goofy next to the cockpit
arm. No spaceships with Popeye-arms.  We're working in minifig-"scale", so
absolute to-scale size isn't important.  Selective compression reigns.
Just eyeballing things, I think the main body *could* be as small as
24-studs in diameter, and still look OK next to the 8-stud cockpit arm.
The interior would be skimpy, but like I said: it's minifig-scale.

Can anyone make a guess as to the minimum size of a Model Team MF?  That
is, one where making things to-scale is more important than fitting in
mini-figs.

Steve