 Star Wars / 1014
Re: A Falcon in the works???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 18:47:17 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Steve Bliss writes:
On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:01:39 GMT, "Ben Fleskes" <benfleskes@msn.com> wrote:

Compare TLG models to MOC models.  MOC models nearly always use many more
pieces than comparable TLG models.  So if MOC MF's use 2000 pieces, TLG can
produce a streamlined version with about 1000 pieces.  'Streamlined' in
this case means optimized for reduced part count, not simplified, dumbed
down, or any other negative connotations.  Not saying that TLG wouldn't do
some simplifying in a MF set, but it's not what I'm talking about here.
A concern that I have, that I hope is unfounded and unrealized, is a Town
Jr'ized or UFO'ed MF, as the back end of the Falcon is rounded. To further
knock down the part count, much of the ship that contains only equipment would
probably be hollow.

So let us say TLG makes MF model using only
4000 pieces.  You are looking at a $400 set.  And who knows, may they will
release one at that price.  I'm not aware on any sets that originally cost • that
much, but there is a first time for everything.  TLG has been breaking many • of
their entrenched rules as of late, maybe they will break the $200 price • barrier
with a Lego MF.
I doubt very much they'll go to $400. $200, sure, maybe even $299, but not
$400.

I'm not optimistic though.  But let's say they did come out with one for $500
and included 5000 pieces.  I'd buy it without even blinking.

I'd blink, but I'd buy it.

I'd blink, swallow hard, and stick it on the credit card.

How big (in size) would a decent MF have to be?  Hmm.  Start by assuming a
minifig-scale set (that is, one that comes with minifigs).  The basic
reference-point is the cockpit area.  This would *have* to be at least 7 • <snip>
Just eyeballing things, I think the main body *could* be as small as
24-studs in diameter, and still look OK next to the 8-stud cockpit arm.
The interior would be skimpy, but like I said: it's minifig-scale.

That would be tolerable. Assuming they built in the central cabin of the ship,
and I wouldn't build the MF without it, it would have to be at least that big.
You'd have to include a small area for remote traininig, the chess table, at
least one control console, and ideally a small area for R2 to plug into.

Can anyone make a guess as to the minimum size of a Model Team MF?  That
is, one where making things to-scale is more important than fitting in
mini-figs.

I'd say an MT version cockpit's inside dimensions would probably be 10 studs
wide (no thin walls), just as deep, and 5 studs high. Assuming that the outside
would be a rounded 12 studs square, I would say the main body should probably
be at least 6 times as big, approx. 72 studs diameter centerline port to
starboard. There's a corridor, as some folks may know, which mostly encircles
the center cabin which needs to be at least 4 studs wide, and a boarding ramp
which needs to be a least 4 wide, and an airlock on either side.

For many body height, I'd say you're looking at something in the
neighborhood of 25 to 30 studs to accomodate the main deck (6 or even 7 high),
and the top and bottom guns, each gun turret's height basically being that of a
deck once all the weaponry is accounted for.

But of course it would *have* to have retractable and locking landing gear not
to mention a solid 8x8 radar dish :)

-Tom McD.