 Star Wars / 1023
Re: A Falcon in the works???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:13:15 GMT

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 18:47:17 GMT, "Tom McDonald"
<radiotitan@spamcake.yahoo.com> wrote:

A concern that I have, that I hope is unfounded and unrealized, is a Town
Jr'ized or UFO'ed MF, as the back end of the Falcon is rounded. To further
knock down the part count, much of the ship that contains only equipment would
probably be hollow.

I was wondering if the large UFO hull pieces could be used.  Those things
are 15x15, right?  That'd give a 30-stud diameter, more if the hull pieces
spaced out, leaving room for docking arms and engine exhaust ports and
forward holds.  This would make the saucer slightly non-circular, but that
problem could be fixed/obscured if the areas not covered by the hull pieces
were moved out from the center by a stud (or two).  This would give the
saucer section a 37-stud diameter, at least.  More likely, 36 or 38.

In a model this size, I don't feel like the hull pieces would overwhelm or
dominate the set -- there'd be enough other pieces to fill in the rest of
the picture.

Based on the current SW sets, my guess is that Lucasfilm would be really
unhappy about cheater pieces like the UFO hulls.

Just eyeballing things, I think the main body *could* be as small as
24-studs in diameter, and still look OK next to the 8-stud cockpit arm.
The interior would be skimpy, but like I said: it's minifig-scale.

That would be tolerable. Assuming they built in the central cabin of the ship,
and I wouldn't build the MF without it, it would have to be at least that big.
You'd have to include a small area for remote traininig, the chess table, at
least one control console, and ideally a small area for R2 to plug into.

Overall, I'd expect there to be a central cabin, some indication of the
corridor to the cockpit and a boarding ramp.  The whole area of the gunner
turrets and ladder would go by the wayside.  The dorsal hatch would be easy
to include--just put a door over some open space.

I'd say an MT version cockpit's inside dimensions would probably be 10 studs
wide (no thin walls), just as deep, and 5 studs high.

I'd start with a smaller cockpit -- the interior accuracy with respect to
chairs and the space around them would be less important than the overall
accuracy.  So the cockpit could be two minifig seats right next to each
other, to more behind those (with 1 stud gap between front and back seat),
and some consoles in front.  That would be four studs wide interior, and a
6-stud diameter exterior.

Assuming that the outside
would be a rounded 12 studs square, I would say the main body should probably
be at least 6 times as big, approx. 72 studs diameter centerline port to
starboard. There's a corridor, as some folks may know, which mostly encircles
the center cabin which needs to be at least 4 studs wide, and a boarding ramp
which needs to be a least 4 wide, and an airlock on either side.

Looking at some MF plans (http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/index.html), the
overall width is about 8 times the width of the cockpit tube.  That puts
you at 96 studs (ouch!)

Steve