 Star Wars / 1002
Re: A Falcon in the works???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:35:50 GMT

I think there are two reasons why there will be a falcon:

1. Considering what Hasbro and others have paid for their licenses from
Lucasfilm it is likely that TLG has paid something in the high eight to
possibly nine digit dollar amount for their license. With this large capital
outlay the bean-counters will be pressing hard for TLG to get the most out of
their license. An example of this is the fact that with a turn-around time of
half what is normal for producing a set they are releasing 13 sets in the
first year.

2. A falcon would be priced under $150.00 if we use the upcoming Sith
Infiltrator (see sirstevesguide.com/legos/e1/v/sithinfiltrator.html) as an
example. It appears to be at least 2/3 the size of the falcon (see
theforce.net/prequels/newspics/crosssections_infiltrator.jpg - SPOILER. If
this is going for $89.99 then a falcon should come in under $150.00.

First off, I'd just like to say that the idea that somebody had about selling
small parts of the Falcon seperately, and including instructions that allowed
you to put the small parts together was a great idea. It also seems like a
reasonable step for TLG. Doing something like that would allow them to make a
couple of hundred dollars from people willing to buy all the small sets to make
the complete Falcon, but would also bring in money for those less serious fans
who would only buy a couple of the sets.
Secondly, seeing as how there are those "oh-so-cool" Insectoid sets out there,
one of which costs $80.00, I don't see how there wouldn't be people willing to
pay $150.00 for a model of the Falcon. I mean, in all honesty, sets like
Insectoids are geared towards children 12 and younger, and are mainly being
bought by that age group. $80 amounts to a lot of allowances. When it comes to
these SW legos, however, you're going to have a lot of adults out there, adding
to their SW collections.
Thirdly, if I remember correctly, wasn't there a monorail type thing that TLG
released quite a few years back that went along with their Space theme? I
recall that costing a couple of hundred dollars, though I might be wrong. Does
anybody else remember this?
Anyway . . . I think a minifig scale Falcon is definitely a possibility.
-Jonathan