 Space / 4680
Re: What do you listen too while building?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 01:05:01 GMT

Wayne McCaul wrote in message ...
Man, I have to tell you that I lost this CD awhile ago when I moved, but I
just ran out and bought it after talking about it.

Here's what I enjoy doing (and have been doing): Play Mars and I imagine a
massive space battle, with gigantic captial ships and smaller support ships
being assaulting a much smaller "good-guy" force. Where it seems, for sure,
the bad guys are going to win.

There's some nice lumbering music to go along with large captial ships
slowly plodding along. I like to imagine there's either a vast debris field
or a nebula, because near the middle, the music seems to have a break in • the
attack. Then there's a wandering, building to the music that seems to say
the two combatants know they're close , but can't quite see each other. • Then
it breaks into a full massive assault where the good guys barely win.

Actually, the scenario I imagined for "Mars" is very similar, in fact almost
the same, right up until the end of the quiet bit where they are about to
recommence their attack on each other... but then, an even more powerful
enemy appears from nowhere and annihilates them all! That's what the loud
finale always suggested to me, anyway.

After Mars, if you jump right to Jupiter, it's for victors. I have imagined
that there's the waiting civies who don't know the outcome of the battle,
until all the returning ships jump into their space. It's sort of a • glorious
homecoming.

Jupiter also works as one of the moments where the bad guys think they're
going to win, but the audience knows that the good guys have the upper • hand.

To me "Jupiter" always gives an impression of humans looking out at their
big shiny space fleets and being proud of what they've achieved. And the use
of the horns in the piece always makes me imagine really, really big ships.

Okay, I think I'm just rambling at this point... Sorry.

Not at all, I think it's great that this music has inspired so many of us in
such similar ways. Now if only we could make a sci-fi movie that uses
Holst's music, then send it back in time and show it to him. I reckon he'd
love it!

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164