 Space / 4664
Re: What do you listen too while building?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:08:24 GMT

Man, I have to tell you that I lost this CD awhile ago when I moved, but I
just ran out and bought it after talking about it.

Here's what I enjoy doing (and have been doing): Play Mars and I imagine a
massive space battle, with gigantic captial ships and smaller support ships
being assaulting a much smaller "good-guy" force. Where it seems, for sure,
the bad guys are going to win.

There's some nice lumbering music to go along with large captial ships
slowly plodding along. I like to imagine there's either a vast debris field
or a nebula, because near the middle, the music seems to have a break in the
attack. Then there's a wandering, building to the music that seems to say
the two combatants know they're close , but can't quite see each other. Then
it breaks into a full massive assault where the good guys barely win.

After Mars, if you jump right to Jupiter, it's for victors. I have imagined
that there's the waiting civies who don't know the outcome of the battle,
until all the returning ships jump into their space. It's sort of a glorious
homecoming.

Jupiter also works as one of the moments where the bad guys think they're
going to win, but the audience knows that the good guys have the upper hand.

Okay, I think I'm just rambling at this point... Sorry.

Evil Wayne
"There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

http://www.geocities.com/legomaniac70

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch writes:

Wayne McCaul wrote in message ...
Actually, of Holst, I really enjoy the Jupiter suite. It's sort of has that
feel like a triumphant return of the forces that fought in the Mars suite.

I do like Mars, a real lot, it's the one everyone seems to know. What I
really like about it is the false ending, where it seem like maybe the bad
guy has been vanquished only to make one last stab at the forces of light.
(This is just my own interpretation).

My interpretation is that the ending of Mars seems like the moment where one
combatant is mortally wounded, and the victor stands over them and looks
them coolly in the eye, perhaps gloating a bit, and then delivers the
killing blows. As to who is good and who is bad... well, war is war. But
then it's just an interpretation anyway.

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/