 Space / 34575
Re: why has lego direct ignored the space theme?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:15:12 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.space, Jeff Findley wrote:
I'm sure there would be legal issues with a "Star Wars" fan created set, but
that would be cool too.

The only two additional issues that I can think of offhand is that it would have
to be a canon design (i.e. something from the movies) because TLC's license
reportedly doesn't cover EU stuff, and Lucasfilm approval would still be
required before it could be produced as an official set because they reserve the
right of final approval.  You and I can't legally produce and sell SW LEGO sets,
but TLC can, and as long as it's being put on the market under their license, it
shouldn't matter who came up with the actual design.

This is a good point.  This would require that the fan created model be canon,
so I didn't think of that.  I believe that this would restrict the creativity of
a fan MOC to the point that it wouldn't be worth it.

In my opinion, you might as well have LEGO's builders design the new Star Wars
sets.  This would be easier for LEGO, since they would have an easier time
working with Lucasfilm to get the approval (only one other party to deal with
rather than two).

Jeff