 Space / 10065
Re: why has lego direct ignored the space theme?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:19:49 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Train gets the My Own Train plus the train cars, as well as various bulk
packs.
Castle gets the Guarded Inn rerelease plus there are the new cool harry
potter sets comming out (not lego direct but castle fans like them all
the same)
Pirate fans get the 3 pirate set reissues as part of "lego classics"
Technic fans get the 2 new offroder cars plus the reissues of the
forklift and digger.

But us space fans get nothing.

Amen to that!  I thought the whole Star Wars theme was a kick!  I thought it
a smart move on the part of TLG, HOWEVER, I have to agree with Mr. Wilson
regarding the lack of good space sets in recent years.  And the absence of
any planned re-releases of space sets thus far!!  The "Life On Mars" theme
is the pits.  I think the last space theme that REALLY warmed my retro
rockets was second generation Space Police, and that was awfully short-lived
as a theme.  Truth be told, I've been dismayed for quite a long time (years)
over the running trend where TLG develops a new theme all in one year,
markets it for two (maybe three) and then,  *BLAM* phases it out of
production.  I guess I have to conceed that three years is an eternity in
the retail industry, but - DANGIT - I like longevity in a theme! (grin) I've
been moderately pleased with more recent themes such as Insectoids and
Exploriens, but nothing comes close to the feel and styling of the classic
space theme of old.  I have the 6950 - Mobile Rocket Launcher released back
in 1982 and I still think it is, hands down, one of the best sets I
own....and I have a very respectable collection!

I think it's obvious that there is a contingent of Lego purchasers who have
an attention span far greater than that of your everyday nine year old, many
of whom -- if you're like me -- have some real buying power and make up a
large percentage of TLG's profit margin.  I mean, heck, I'm over
blankety-blank years old and I STILL love the stuff!!  I'm super thrilled at
the Legends releases and monthly "Surprise" sets.  I guess some folks
finally heard the myriad rantings of us "old timers" and are making the
goods available once more.

Sets I would particularly like to see resurface in the Space theme would be:
6987 - [Blacktron] Message Intercept Base; 6940 - Alien Moon Stalker; 6956 -
[M:tron] Stellar Recon Voyager; 6701, 6702 and/or 6703 - Space Mini Figures
from the Classic era (6701-02) and Futuron era (6703) where the minifigs got
visors on their helmets for the first time.  I would sell my unborn child
(maybe...oh hell, yes!) for more old space minifigs!!  Especially the red,
black and blue ones!!  One or two other sets I'd love to see resurface would
be 6952 - Solar Power Transporter and 6984 - [Space Police II] Galactic
Mediator.  Space is an old favorite...  :}