 Town / 3270
Re: why has lego direct ignored the space theme? (and Town!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 13:23:59 GMT

In lugnet.town, Kevin Wilson writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote in message ...
Bity poor Town, who hasn't got much of late...

Bity? Larry, that wasn't a misteak was it (looking forward to how you're
going to explain this one...)

But we have Jack Stone, right, that makes up for everything (blecchhhhhh)

Kevin

Ohhh don't get me started on Jack Stone....toy stores should ban the selling of
these awful sets.  I would like to see the purpose of buying them....a more
expensive version of Town Junior Perhaps (with Creator Figs, instead, and an
annoying Jack Stone...who is the "hero of the day".

I suppose the attractiveness of the line is the cartoonish nature of the
vehicles...with the silly faces on the front.  I see no redeeming value on
the building elements though, Lego should have went with a more eye-friendly
skyline....(just my opinion)....

the other positive attribute of the line is the cost of purchase...with the
price sooo high, who is going to purchase them.  The one confusing thing is
who is in charge of marketing?  Prior to 1997, things were OK (pretty good,
actually)....1997 to 1999...things were starting much to go downhill...
Wild West sets were OK, Egyptian sets weren't too bad, and the early Ninja
line was pretty good, but I guess that was it, the rest of the lines were
really starting to become "trashy"....

2000 had some better stuff offered....StarWars had some ok stuff that
attracted some of the younger AND older fans, the Lego Soccer was pretty good
as well (IMO), King Leo line wasn't bad, except a little pricey, and the
play value wasn't all that good (too many Leo's in the line).

2001, looks like an up and down year.  The newer soccer  sets look really bad,
except they redeemed themselves by offering a 100% women's team with rare
blonde hair (that was good)....My Own Train looks alright and the newer
rolling stock is really cool once they start shipping.  Lego Legends will be
Lego Directs Bread and Butter for a long time....(as well as Lego "classics")
Their creator line and Jack Stone line are ugly and too expensive.  I guess
for the younger folk....but why should you fork out $80 on a Lego set for your
young child when you could be buying a couple basic sets, and spend quality
time building with him/her???  Harry Potter sets will have mixed views.  They
are designed to try to please a myriad of fans....(and for the most part)
they interest a whole bunch of the spectrum.

Back to my point.....Who really does their marketing???  We seen loss after
loss at Lego Group....and a good deal of it is because they had too many
lines being offered at once.  That, and really expensive designed parts...
Lego has said parts design and packaging are responsible for sharp price
increases....yes the boxes are sort of more rigid than before...who cares???
I don't buy lego for the packaging....and the designs....I think 90% of the
adult enthusiasts would agree that a more "classical" approach to the model
designs would not only save money in the long run (less moulds to worry about,
and also less poops, too) but also look a lot more pleasing to the eye, and
also be more functional: [case in point - car roofs w/ that opened vs the new
swivel click pieses....the new pieces are very, very annoying to use...your
models sustain collateral damage due to these really crappy pieces....]

I don't think I need to go on....we'll see what is instore for us (fans and
enthusiasts)....the winter and spring of 2001 was pretty "lame" for set
offerings....this summer really looks good though.... I can hardly wait for
Fall.  (Which is a really unique marketing concept....) offer lines throughout
the year....

I remember when Lego had sets come in in January or March....the January ones
usually came in for the Christmas rush.  A couple years ago, Lego had some
of the sets come out in January, a couple more sets come out in March, and
a few more in July.  This year (2001), has seen some of the less desirable
sets come out early....like people are going to waste their money on stuff
like that, and as the year has gone on, some of the better stuff is being
offered....hmmmmm.....could it be that KKK wants to try and make a profit
this year????

Just some casual observations.....sorry for the long rant.....but sometimes
this is better than giving up, and ostercizing the Lego company, like some
of the more unfortunate fans go....

Benjamin Medinets