 Space / 20547
Re: Drake Equation (was: Re: Some great Space info and dicussion)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:48:24 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch writes:
In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  And, of course, it need not be pointed out too sharply that
  intelligence has yet to show itself as anything other than
  an evolutionary dead-end.  Our track record is not incredibly
  impressive (but I'd like to be optimistic).

You must be joking, right? Intelligence has already done immeasurable things
for our species.
If you're talking about our capacity for conflict and self-destruction,
blame our million-year-old instincts. IMO, intelligence is about the only
redeeming feature our species has!

   Redemption is, of course, an ethical concept,
   not an evolutionary one.  Yes, our propensity
   towards violence is rooted in the competitive
   nature that very probably *gave* us our intellects
   to begin with; but that aggressive nature in
   itself wouldn't be sufficient to snuff out nearly
   all multicellular life on the planet (or even
   our own species).  That particular twist is
   entirely thanks to human sapience.

   I'd argue that you can't have the type of
   intellect we have *without* the conflict and
   competitiveness; the question is how close one
   has to cut it in order to survive the period
   in which the species has the ability to destroy
   utterly the closed system upon which its survival
   is dependent.  A million years is a geological
   blink of an eye, after all, and at the rate we've
   been going in just the last two hundred years,
   be it in fouling our nest or killing one another,
   we'll have vanished before a thousand more.  If
   all intelligence in the cosmos follows such a
   pattern, then intelligence (at least that of
   the type that would build artifices and colonize
   space) may in fact be a dead-end: a short-term
   survival benefit without long-term staying power.

   But as I said, I'd like to remain optimistic.
   That's why I love .space so much.  :)

   best

   LFB