 Space / 20433
Re: Some great Space info and dicussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:56:02 GMT

Ahh, but that assumes you have the technology. His theory is that you
will get blasted to oblivion before you get the technology. There's • also
the time factor. You don't have all that blasted much time to react to
something approaching at relativistic speeds (remember, if it's
approaching at 90% the speed of light, you only have 10% of the time it
takes for the object to reach you). Another part of his idea was that
perhaps SETI isn't such a good idea: "Hey fellas, we're a nascent
technological civilization, come blast us to oblivion before we learn
anything dangerous."

Unless acceleration is almost instantaneous, the waste energy of
whatever accelerates the rock to light speed will reach you long before
the rock does.
Assuming that the rock's rest mass is 1000 tonnes, accelerating it to
90% of light speed would require 2.0647*10^23 joules of energy. This is
an energy release 4.9324*10^7  times the 50 megaton Tsar Bomba, the
largest nuclear weapon ever detonated by humans.
Don't tell me that an energy release of this magnitude would not be
noticed by the opposing side. If you're going to generate that much
energy, you might as well directly apply it to the target to avoid
wasteful expenditure of resources. Note that the figures above only
display the energy required to accelerate the rock to 90% light speed.
Due to inefficiencies, a power source capable of generating within the
necessary time much more energy than is required to accelerate the rock,
meaning several orders of magnitude, would be required.
Let's not even get into the necessary capabilities of the heat
dissipation system.
On the other hand, knocking rocks into a planet is a much simpler
proposition. One only has to reduce the kinetic energy of a rock
orbiting the target to less than that of the rock's gravitational
binding energy.
If you need to kill a planet, sending into the target's gravity well a
rock of huge mass will require much less technological capabilities than
accelerating a rock to relativistic velocities.