 Space / 20309
Re: Some great Space info and dicussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:57:07 GMT

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.space, Frank Filz writes:
Brandon Harris wrote:
        There was some physics geek who wrote this great little thing
        about the effects of firing a can of ravioli at a star
        destroyer at varying speeds.  It's been circulating the net
        for years and years - I first saw it in college.  Anyways,
        the sheer amount of devastation that a can of ravioli would be
        able to do at even Mach 4 is pretty impressive.

At an SF convention when I was in college, one fellow gave his theory of
what first contact would be like:

A large rock hurtling towards Earth at relativistic speeds. Boom! Flash!

One of my favorite products from Ad Astra games (who make games that
actually use science) is a T-Shirt, with the front showing:

"Give a person a relativistic rock, and they will shatter a planet today.
Teach them to do the math, and they will shatter planets for the rest of
their lives."

The back, in much smaller print, has the math. :)

His theory was that once you develop the capability to easily visit
other star systems, that you also easily have the capability of
accelerating rocks to relativistic speeds. Since there's not much one
can do to defend against such a tactic, should you find any
technological society on another planet, you must pre-emptively strike.

You can defend against it though; all you need to do is shoot a rock of your
own, and meet it halfway.

Ahh, but that assumes you have the technology. His theory is that you
will get blasted to oblivion before you get the technology. There's also
the time factor. You don't have all that blasted much time to react to
something approaching at relativistic speeds (remember, if it's
approaching at 90% the speed of light, you only have 10% of the time it
takes for the object to reach you). Another part of his idea was that
perhaps SETI isn't such a good idea: "Hey fellas, we're a nascent
technological civilization, come blast us to oblivion before we learn
anything dangerous."

Frank