 Space / 20439
Re: Some great Space info and dicussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:32:19 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jordan D. Greer writes:
  Since the amount of energy necessary to effect a change in velocity
increases with the square of a change in velocity (as derived from the
sub-relativistic kinetic energy equation), and since fuel capacity
(volume) increases with the cube of the increase of length (for cubical
fuel tanks), larger craft have a natural advantage over fighters if
great distances are involved.

*When great distances are involved*, Yes, and this is precisely why there
would be a place for carrier ships in SF space warfare.

Although who ever said anything about cubical fuel tanks?  Liquid and solid
fuels are quite low-tech for some Sci-Fi scenarios.

-H.