 Space / 20618
Re: Some great Space info and dicussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:45:52 GMT

In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  Waaaaaitasecond.  A lot of us who are politically to the left
  are in fact extremely supportive of interplanetary travel--because
  we consider ourselves "progressives," and what could be more pro-
  gressive than pushing the frontiers of humanity outwards?  Nothing
  would make us feel more stagnant as a society and a culture than
  confining ourselves willingly to the Earth.

Yes, I would think liberals would support things like SETI and future space
missions, since truly conservatives would argue that there is nothing out
there to waste so much money on (especially when such money could go to
military spending).  But I didn't want to point that out at first, since I
myself am not one extreme or the other.

i am reminded of the novel _Red Mars_ by some really good author, wherein
during the colonization of Mars, the politically and economically oppressed on
Earth rise up in quasi-rebellion and riots.

  That may be true--or else it may give people something to dream
  about, something to create new heroic myths around.  I tend to
  think that the entire concept of a frontier is a unifying one,
  and heaven knows we need some unifying forces these days.

Or, if heroic myths is what you want, you could use the frontier setting as
one where it is the Martian colonies that rebel.  Seems to me that history
repeats itself, and once any hypothetical colonies develop the ability to be
self sufficient, then they often develop a dislike for being ruled from a
distance by people who they don't know that well.  Think of all the
revolutions in the various American nations.  Similar things could happen on
Mars, or other planets.  Could make for some good stories anyway.

Imagine, the Ganamide Tea Party...  :)

-H.