 Space / 20564
Re: Drake Equation (was: Re: Some great Space info and dicussion)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:50:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Redemption is, of course, an ethical concept,
  not an evolutionary one.  Yes, our propensity
  towards violence is rooted in the competitive
  nature that very probably *gave* us our intellects
  to begin with; but that aggressive nature in
  itself wouldn't be sufficient to snuff out nearly
  all multicellular life on the planet (or even
  our own species).  That particular twist is
  entirely thanks to human sapience.

There's some analogy here about blaming the gun rather than the wielder, but
it's a little too late in the night for me to tell whether it changes the
argument...

  I'd argue that you can't have the type of
  intellect we have *without* the conflict and
  competitiveness;

So would I! I hope I didn't unintentionally imply otherwise.

the question is how close one
  has to cut it in order to survive the period
  in which the species has the ability to destroy
  utterly the closed system upon which its survival
  is dependent.  A million years is a geological
  blink of an eye, after all, and at the rate we've
  been going in just the last two hundred years,
  be it in fouling our nest or killing one another,
  we'll have vanished before a thousand more. If
  all intelligence in the cosmos follows such a
  pattern, then intelligence (at least that of
  the type that would build artifices and colonize
  space) may in fact be a dead-end: a short-term
  survival benefit without long-term staying power.

Firstly, I'm not sure we can say with any confidence that we're headed for
_total_ extinction (and technically that's the only way we become an
evolutionary dead-end).
Secondly, given the completely unique and unprecedented situation of the
"closed system", to out-compete and to survive long-term are two different
things. I would argue that because the genome doesn't "plan" and is subject
completely to change in its _current_ environment, then long-term survival
isn't really something that a species is selected for. Lumping a species
that is "too good" into the dead-end basket along with various sterile
mutants (which are _definitely_ evolutionary dead-ends) seems completely
inappropriate. It may be our brains' fault that we're imperiling ourselves,
but it's not our genes' fault. They've done a wonderful job, so to speak.

Personally, I feel that the nastiest, most tragic, depressing, brutal,
unpleasant and wrong thing about our Universe is the selfish gene. No wonder
there are so many creationists!

  But as I said, I'd like to remain optimistic.
  That's why I love .space so much.  :)

My hope is that genetic evolution is about to finish/culminate (for us
humans), and that technological and mental evolution will take over where it
left off...

Here's a little something to be optimistic about:
http://www.enviromission.com.au/project/prototype.htm

And here's one way of looking at the beginnings of mental evolution:
http://www.susanblackmore.co.uk/SciAm00.html

Cheers,
Paul