 Space / 20616
Re: Some great Space info and dicussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:07:01 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman writes:

Physics don't tell us that we ought to not experiment, but they do give us a
basic guideline of what is or is not feasible, and most expedient for the
purposes of conducting warfare in space.
War, exploration, and all other fields of creative human endeavor will
always be helped or hindered by the economic and political realities of the
day, not exclusively creativity. Hell, since the '60s, we've had the
technology to easily reach Saturn or Mars, or even launch an interstellar
probe. However, politics and the feelings and outcrying of the liberal left
have for the past few decades crushed any dreams of any such things.

being politically left, i have need to defend my colleages.  For example, what
reason do we have to explore mars or saturn when billions continue to be
oppressed and starved here on earth?

   Waaaaaitasecond.  A lot of us who are politically to the left
   are in fact extremely supportive of interplanetary travel--because
   we consider ourselves "progressives," and what could be more pro-
   gressive than pushing the frontiers of humanity outwards?  Nothing
   would make us feel more stagnant as a society and a culture than
   confining ourselves willingly to the Earth.

i am reminded of the novel _Red Mars_ by some really good author, wherein
during the colonization of Mars, the politically and economically oppressed on
Earth rise up in quasi-rebellion and riots.

   That may be true--or else it may give people something to dream
   about, something to create new heroic myths around.  I tend to
   think that the entire concept of a frontier is a unifying one,
   and heaven knows we need some unifying forces these days.

   best

   LFB