 Space / 20251
Re: Some great Space info and dicussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 21:10:09 GMT

Brandon Harris wrote:
        There was some physics geek who wrote this great little thing
        about the effects of firing a can of ravioli at a star
        destroyer at varying speeds.  It's been circulating the net
        for years and years - I first saw it in college.  Anyways,
        the sheer amount of devastation that a can of ravioli would be
        able to do at even Mach 4 is pretty impressive.

At an SF convention when I was in college, one fellow gave his theory of
what first contact would be like:

A large rock hurtling towards Earth at relativistic speeds. Boom! Flash!

His theory was that once you develop the capability to easily visit
other star systems, that you also easily have the capability of
accelerating rocks to relativistic speeds. Since there's not much one
can do to defend against such a tactic, should you find any
technological society on another planet, you must pre-emptively strike.

I have a more optomistic viewpoint on life than that but I can see the
logic.

Frank