 Space / 20277
Re: Some great Space info and dicussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 01:35:24 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tony Knaak writes:
The first link leads to a listing and description of ALL
proper names for space vessel designations by size and duty.

Tony,
     Regarding the first site, I urge you to be careful with extremes.
There is no way that this could possibly describe ALL proper names for space
vessel designations, except in Mr. Morris' own fictions.  Space travel is as
yet a new frontier, and so many designs have yet to burst forth.  There will
likely be craft designed for purposes not imagined by Mr. Morris.  I'll
concede, though, that it's an interesting group of classifications, and
could be a useful launching point for one's imaginings, with the hope that
one doesn't limit ideas and designs to those presented.

Read [Coral Sea in Space] and see if you agree or disagree about this persons >prediction of space warfare.

     I'd have to disagree.  The logic is flawed.  The usefulness of a
carrier configuration still would exist in space, and need not be limited to
warships; exploratory and scientific pursuits would also benefit from having
this type of platform.  The variety of mission types available, as well as
the support community housed on the carrier, would give it unique
capabilities that I think could only enhance space life.  While I believe
the design idea to be still useful for spacebound warfaring, I'd also be
interested in the possibilities of peaceful, exploratory, and colonization
missions.  The possibilities have only really begun to be explored.
     Bigger may be better, but it's also a hell of a lot more expensive; a
carrier with a number of different subcraft would be a far more varied and
versatile use of the same resources than a single large ion cannon in space.
     Yuen Kit Mun makes some interesting points, but I think they are far
from authoritative.

     Just my 50th of a buck.

Peace and Long Life,
Tony Alexander