 Robotics / 25163
Re: Mindstorms NXT programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:44:24 GMT

dan miller wrote:

Has anyone (other than myself) used Python?  It's a great language, and has
excellent attributes for programming robots (simple, easy to learn,
extremely powerful).  Not clear what compromises would have to be made to
port it to NXT.

Well, on my Linux box, the main Python interpreter is in a library
called 'libpython' with a teeny-tiny main program running the command
line version.  The library is about a Megabyte - and depends on other
stuff from other libraries.

This is four or eight times larger than the NXT's teeny-tiny flash
memory (depending on which report you read about the NXT's memory size).

Worse still, that library on my Linux box is for a Intel CPU - the ARM
(being a RISC machine) needs more instructions to do any given job - so
the code take up more space.

So it would definitely take about 10 times the amount of flash memory
than is provided in the NXT.

I'm still horrified at how little memory the NXT has.  It's pathetic.