 Robotics / 25196
Re: Mindstorms NXT programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:59:43 GMT

What would I like to implement that won't fit in 256K...

check out this list of modules from Pyro:

# PyroModuleDirectControl
# PyroModuleSequencingControl
# PyroModuleBehaviorBasedControl
# PyroModuleReinforcementLearning
# PyroModuleNeuralNetworks
# PyroModuleEvolutionaryAlgorithms
# PyroModuleComputerVision
# PyroModuleMapping
# PyroModuleMultirobot

you can dig in here:
http://pyrorobotics.org/?page=PyroCurriculum

Point is, robotics research has gone way beyond line following with a PID.
Roboticists have dealt with underpowered brains for years.  Techniques have
been worked out to work around that problem, by linking the robot to a more
powerful brain.  That brain is your computer.  The link is bluetooth.  The
point of Python, Java, C++, Scheme (http://pyrorobotics.org/?page=Gyro), or
any other high-level language (something other than C, which is basically
glorified assembler) is to facilitate the design of complex, flexible
algorithms that can enable more advanced behavior.  What I would like to do
with Python, or even with some new language (as I explained in a previous
post), is to get as much autonomous functionality into the NXT as possible,
and make it easy to do the rest on a remote machine.  Imagine the robot
having a dozen possible behavior patterns, which could be swapped in quickly
from your laptop, depending on what the robot encounters.  It's just an
application of the trendy field of distributed computing.

There's plenty to learn fiddling with lego pieces and RIS (or Labview on
NXT), but if someone wants to move beyond that into some of the real
cutting-edge stuff, it would be nice if there was a path to lead them there.

-dan

--- "Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Benton Jackson wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:

   You've brought up the price point several times. If your analysis is • correct
(example: adding 64MB for a couple bucks), why don't you think LEGO did • it? It
would seem to me there are three options:
1) Your economic analysis is flawed.
2) LEGO has other constraints that we either don't know or aren't • considering.
3) LEGO is run by a bunch of moronic idiots, and they've survived for • the last
several generations on sheer luck.

Another more likely option is that they put the ram and flash ram on the • same
custom chip as the ARM. Not only would this reduce the parts count, but • it would
save pinout and simplify the circuit board.

Benton,

  In the world of electronics it is typically cheaper to buy what you need
off
the shelf than it is to create your own custom chip, unless you are going
have extremely high volume sales.  When it costs $100,000 or more to
fabricate a
custom chip, not including the design, development, simulation and
verification
costs which would typically be *much* more, you'd need to sell an awful
lot of
those chips to recoup your developement and fabrication costs.

  Given the relatively small number of NXTs (versus say PCs using P4
processors), I'm guess it is not cost effective for LEGO to make their own
custom chips.

  From a manufacturing cost perspective, the more parts you have to
composite
together to make an NXT, the more expensive it is per NXT.  Fewer parts is
better.

  If they follow the same model they did with the RCX, they probably went
out
and designed a system based on what is readily available today, with as
few
components as possible and as inexpensive as possible.  As Rosco pointed
out,
there are at least two models/brands of chips out there that contain ARM7
CPU,
256K flash and 64KRAM.  So there would not be any need to make a custom
chip for
these features.

  Maybe the reason the NXT has what it has for memory is because that was
what
LEGO could get while meeting reasonable robotic toy requirements, and
maximizing
profit?  It sounds like the NXT has great features unparalleled in
competitor's
toy robotics offerings IMHO.

  For Steve, LEGO can't afford to put PC level capabities in a NXT and
sell the
set for $250.

  My initial reaction to the RAM size was that it was small, and it *is*
compared to a PC, but notice that a PC has DRAM and the NXT has RAM.  This
might
be minor sematics, but it might not.  Typically a single chip processor
with
embedded volative memory contains RAM, not DRAM.  DRAM chip manufacturing
processes are *very* different than the processes used for making
processors, so
making an ARM7 with DRAM on the same chip is not really possible.  However
ARM7
with on chip RAM which can be a simplied name for static RAM or SRAM is
quite
doable, and has been done over and over.  Unfortunately a bit of memory
implemented as a static RAM cell is *much* larger than a bit implemented
in DRAM
technology.

  I digress...... I just can't see how LEGO could make any money
developing
their own custom chip, or pack the memory and compute capabiltities of an
entire
PC inside an NXT, given the extremely small volumes of NXTs that will be
sold.

My 2c.

Kev