 Robotics / 25216
Re: Mindstorms NXT programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 07:58:23 GMT

Name one of them with less than 4Mb of flash...you can't.  You have to
work quite hard to find one with less than 64Mb of flash.  The cost
argument doesn't fly.  A 64Mb thumb drive costs $8 in quantity - and
there is a lot more to that than the flash memory chip.  I doubt that
adding 64Mb of flash to the NXT would have increased the price by
more than one or two percent.
There could be other factors...
Battery life (I have no idea what more flash would do to the battery life)
Space/Size constraints (adding more memory may take up more room inside the
NXT brick and/or require more PCB traces etc)
Heat/power disappation (I dont know much about hea in embedded systems but
it could be a factor)
Also, just because you can get a flash memory chip for a couple bucks
doesnt mean that its any good.
lego (with a reputation based on quality) isnt likely to skimp and use an
el-cheapo flash memory chip.

There may be other reasons too.

It would be good to hear from Lego (e.g. Jake Mckee or the mindstorms dept)
as to why they made the decision to go with less memory...

Also, do we know that its not a misprint somewhere and that its really 256
megs instead of 256k?