 Robotics / 25205
Re: Mindstorms NXT programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 00:39:58 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Chris Magno wrote:
Kevin L. Clague wrote:

  I'm sure that LEGO has scrutinzed and wrestled with cost issues much smaller
than $5 per manufactured NXT.  $5 is a big number when talking about small
volumes of a $250 set.

  That said, you can go ahead with your continued "coherent and resonable
areguments about your teeny-tiny $5 flash" without any more feedback from me.

Have a nice day,
Kev

Kevin,

While I agree with your points regarding cost/features; and I can
understand the view of the "need more memory" crowd.  I think what needs
to be expressed more "eloquently" is the fact that while starting from
the ground up, Lego seemed to have "miss the boat" on a ~few~ features.

Chris,

  I don't believe I've ever taken the stance that I don't want more memory in
the NXT. I can't imagine that I'd ever take that position.

  I'm not opposed to more memory, but I am trying to see, understand and share
what little I know about the economics on some of this.

  I was hoping for an expansion port to allow for easy growth of the NXT.  For a
while I thought maybe that was what the USB was for, but alas it cannot do that
and appears to be limited to downloading programs.

  Then I started thinking about what kind of expansion port I'd like.  PCMCIA is
pretty limiting.  My PC only has one slot.  PCI is too expensive and difficult
to work with, so I started thinking about simpler interfaces.  I2C came to mind.
It is a simple two wire interface often used to interface to serial memory
chips, but also interface to lots of kinds of lab equipment.  I wonder if the
digital sensor interface is I2C or some other two wire interace.

  I guess that the digital sensor interface is our best hope for expansion.

Kev