 Robotics / 25197
Re: Mindstorms NXT programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:34:34 GMT

good analysis.  Also keep in mind that Lego sells primarily through retail
resellers, so their take is considerably less than the SRP.  (Even the Lego
stores have huge overhead, being in expensive malls).

To sell a product like this at < $250 and make a profit, every dollar
counts.

What this discussion really points out IMSHO, is that there is _some_ part
of the community that would pay more for more performance.  Hopefully,
that's what the ports are about.  I can see someone adding CF flash reader
to a port, for instance.  It could even be through bluetooth.

If the platform is truly open and extensible, these discussions will be
moot.

--- Mike Walters <mgwalters@[stopspam]>,
UNEXPECTED_DATA_AFTER_ADDRESS@.SYNTAX-ERROR. wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes wrote:
Is there an apples and oranges problem here? You are referring to serial • memory
devices used for data storage versus broad side FLASH which permits the • CPU to
execute from it.

If the CPU were to be crippled by executing from a SD memory device, I • think
you'd start complaining about the speed at that point.

So how much does 32 bits wide of 64Mb of FLASH cost?

I think, John, you've finally started us down the right path to
(hopefully) put
this whole topic to bed.

What we're talking about here isn't necessarily a difference between
serial
FLASH and parallel FLASH.  What we're talking about is the difference
between
NAND FLASH and NOR FLASH.

The type of FLASH that is used in CF cards nowadays is NAND FLASH.  CF
uses an
8-bit parallel interface.  NAND FLASH requires a file system for access
and is
NOT randomly accessible.  It is suited for mass storage (such as a CF
card).
Products that use NAND FLASH for program storage download the program into
DRAM
prior to execution.  They do not (can not) run the program from NAND
FLASH.

The type of FLASH this is used to run firmware from directly is NOR FLASH.

Although a company like Lego (or any company larger than a garage) would
never
buy from Digikey, we can use Digikey as a readily available comparison
source:

A 128Mbyte CF card (as was used for comparison earlier in the thread)
contains
some combination of NAND FLASH chips that add up to 128M x 8.  If you look
at
Digikey, you will find that you can do this for about $20 in small
quantities.
Given Lego's volumes, their cost will certainly be much less than that,
but more
than the high-volume CF card makers can do with their high volumes.  Let's
say
that it would cost Lego $10 to put 128Mbyte of CF in the NXT.  If they
didn't
want to make a profit and it didn't cost anything in PCB space or
engineering,
they could theoretically do this and only add $10 to the cost of the
product.
Of course, it'd be NAND FLASH and would only be useful as a mass storage
device,
not code storage.

On the other hand, to add "1000 times" the amount of CODE memory to the
NXT,
we'd need 256Mbytes of NOR FLASH (the NXT has 256Kbytes as is).  256Mbytes
is
2Gbits.  Let's say that we wanted it x32.  In that case, we'd be looking
for
some combination of NOR FLASH chips to give us 64M x 32.  The problem is
that
NOR FLASH isn't available in as high of densities as NAND FLASH.  To build
our
2Mbits of memory, we're looking at possibly 8 256Mbit parts.  At $27 each.
Applying our economies of scale, we're talking about over $100 dollars to
give
the nxt "1000 times" the amount of FLASH memory.  Even assuming that we
could
divide that cost by 2 again, given time to find the righ suppliers, we're
still
talking about over $50 additional cost, without even looking at the
addition PCB
space and engineering time.

Then again, I guess that's a long drawn-out process to go through when we
could
have just realized that Lego has already done this.

Thanks for pointing this in the right direction, John.  It was kind of
interesting to finally go through the actual thought process.

Mike